W123 500te amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

48hp

Car
500SEC AMG WB, 500TE AMG, 500SL AMG
I may have possibly stumbled on one of the earliest, more unique W123's, modified by AMG, a 1979 wagon.

Unfortunately, there was absolutely no history provided with the vehicle but the sum of all of the AMG options found on this example leads me to believe it just may have stopped by AMG before arriving in North America.

The list of options include:

Full AMG Body Kit (Front spoiler, side skirts and rear apron)
Recaro Ideal C seats in matching MB upholstery (same as door cards and rear seat)
Early BBS style 8JX16 wheels (Note: AMG did not produce their own wheels until circa 1983)
LSD differential
Anti-Dive Rear Suspension
Sport Suspension
Euro front and rear bumpers
Euro headlights
Independent Transmission and Engine coolers

and the most exciting options installed...

a radical M117 5.0L engine with tubular steel headers and downpipes.

The vehicle is in need of complete restoration as it's a cosmetic mess. Needed this project like a bag of rocks but AMG is an addiction.

As received:
303ce9b5fe9735428de6ec3c7c40bb11.jpg

a9606b5955e2a9fd44b0e01a37798c84.jpg

IMG_4745_zps52556856.jpg

The explosion:
file.php

As it sits on deck:
IMG_4643_zpse01e782a.jpg

Ha ha, another project thread beckons! What mechanical bits do you need for it?

Liking that,a lot!

Danke!

The seats are manual Recaro C's wrapped in matching MB upholstery with inserts that carry thru to the rear seats.

The motor turns nicely, insanely quick and has a wicked rumble. The original tubular headers and downpipes survived the years but the rest of the exhaust has since been replaced with a contemporary SS system. It's in great shape but it'll make way for the period AMG/Sebring hanging in the garage at some point.

Nothing needed but cosmetics really. There were a few interior bits missing but they have since been located and now it's just a matter of replacing those worn bits with better condition examples.

I stripped the wagon to the bone. Floor pans need some attention and that'll first on the to do list. Some misc prepping and then it'll be ready for body/paint.

The dash is cracked to all hell. It does have an interesting cutout which at some point had a "taxi" console mounted on top.

Below is an example of the dash mounted console.

Attachments

• W123dashgauges.jpg
    W123dashgauges.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 182
Heinric...

Where did you find this gem !!!

Ed A.

I wonder if AMG would be interested in it for their museum when it is finished ( if you want to part with it of course )

Heinric...

Where did you find this gem !!!

Ed A.

Hello Ed,

Look forward to seeing more of your coupe! Fantastic results.

This was right here in Los Angeles, brought to my attention by a fellow AMG enthusiast.

I wonder if AMG would be interested in it for their museum when it is finished ( if you want to part with it of course )

That's setting the bar rather high, lol.

What an interesting car and concept... a 5 litre V8 estate, a precurser to a E55 AMG estate, if you like... But way before tuned up V8 shooting brakes were all the rage....

Is it safe to say the V8 was fitted by AMG??.... Has the install given any hints to this at all?

What a Find!!! I'm likeing that a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom