W123 Alternator Belt adjust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Servicepoint

Car
W123 230ce
W123 230ce 1984

Noticed my alternator belt was making a squeal and it requires tightened up. It the alternator with the teeth on the bolt hat you move in either direction to tighten or loosen. Information from the internet states all three ? bolts must be loosened holding the alternator before turning the adjustment screw but I’m unsure what ones they are, can anyone advise?
Thanks.9888BA3F-C96D-46AD-BB1A-53F2B7301350.jpeg91719377-C9CC-4384-9E96-9BBB5050598B.jpeg

You need to loosen the lower alternator bolt on which it pivots for a start. It is in your picture just above the belt.

Its been ages since I worked on the W123 but check behind that adjuster bolt. I can't remember but there may be one behind there that locks it in place. Also you may have to loosen the adjuster bracket itself.

You need to loosen the lower alternator bolt on which it pivots for a start. It is in your picture just above the belt.

Its been ages since I worked on the W123 but check behind that adjuster bolt. I can't remember but there may be one behind there that locks it in place. Also you may have to loosen the adjuster bracket itself.
I can see two lower bolts, am I looking at the correct ones to loosen to allow it to pivot?
CB746A81-6E92-4E2B-AE86-A6D270B85CE9.jpeg

Last edited:
@vijilants
Thanks, I loosened the 13mm at the bottom of the alternator, loosened the 17mm nut at the back of the adjustment bolt and gave the belt a tighten. I’m pretty sure I missed another to loosen off as it was still very stiff to tighten the belt with the adjuster but I got enough on it hopefully to stop the squeal.

Edit
I actually couldn’t loosen the one directly onto the alternator, my socket wouldn’t go on it as the surround was too tight.
Looking at it again I actually think the bolt direct onto the alternator loosens from the other end where I’ve circled in red?
757042F2-B1D5-4BCF-9297-DB713CF5C5A4.jpeg

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

W123 230ce 1984

Noticed my alternator belt was making a squeal and it requires tightened up. It the alternator with the teeth on the bolt hat you move in either direction to tighten or loosen. Information from the internet states all three ? bolts must be loosened holding the alternator before turning the adjustment screw but I’m unsure what ones they are, can anyone advise?
Thanks.View attachment 129189
The bolt in the top right of the photo should be loosened to permit articulation of the rack (the toothed bolt when turned moves in an arc not a straight line).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom