w123 auto box adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarth

I have a 240td with autobox (1981). It has only 80k miles from new. WHen the car changes gear from say, 2nd to 3rd, it overrevs a bit before the next gear is selected. I am told there are two adjustments - one determines WHEN the gears cganfe and the other determines HOW quickly or smoothly it changes. I beleive the latter is an actuator screwed into the side of the gearbox but this is all I currently know.
Can anyone enlighten me on how this works and how to adjust things assuming my diagnosis is right?
thanks

Very similar but the adjustments are very hit and miss... I once wasted a complete saturday adjusting, test driving, adjusting and on and on..

Anyone have any ideas about how to make it non-hit and miss? There must be some sequence in which this has to be done and presumably the video has this right but also some adjustments? I would be tempted to take out the gearbox actuator first to see if it works.

If I change the vacuum control unit on the gearbox, does it have to be the same colour coding as the one I remove? The only one I seem to be able to get in France is the GREEN coded one.

yes it has to be the same colour, and after that you have to check/adjust working presure. all in the link i posted couple days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom