w123 auto vacuum pipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54500&stc=1&d=1447853392

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54501&stc=1&d=1447853392

1981 240TD auto. When fiddling under the hood I dislodged a vacuum tube. It is the lower black tube which comes out of the injection pump (see photo). The only place I could find here is might go is on the bulkhead at the side of the brake vacuum booster. However, whilst the tube fits, I have no idea what it is for or where it goes or what purpose this junction with multiple tubes by the booster serves.
Any ideas? Is this where is should go and if not, where and what is this device on the bulkhead?

thanks

Attachments

• mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 15
  • mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 14
The yellow thing in pic#1 is a simple non-return valve. The device in pic#2 on the side of the IP that the pipe is attached to is the valve that modulates the vacuum to the gearbox. Suggest running the car and if no adverse effects are felt then you have the pipe in the correct hole.

Noted your car is LHD.

In Pic#1 after the yellow non-return valve, there are multiple tubes going into the bulkhead. This is where I stuck the black pipe from the IP. Where do these pipes go and what purpose does this serve?
Yes, it is LHD

rgds

That's just a grommet passing pipes through the bulkhead to whatever they operate or control in the cabin. Just to poke a pipe into a spare hole will achieve nothing except a vacuum leak. Is the car changing gear smoothly and at the correct revs?

It changes smoothly but flares between 2/3 and 3/4 (less) and not at the right revs but it has done this for a long time and I need to bite the bullet and buy a pressure tester and try to tune it.
Do you know where the pipe from the VCV in my diagram is meant to go? I can't find any other holes or junctions. It is not the black pipe which goes to the transmission since that is intact. I know there is meant to be a vent pipe to passenger compartment - could this be it? The MB diagrams are a bit hard to figure out and Haynes doesn't mention this

If I want to test the pressure at various points in the vacuum system, can anyone recommend a tool? Most I see test for oil pressure and of course this is air.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom