W123 C Pillar Trim removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vrsmatt99

Car
Mercedes W123 200
Hi There,

I am currently stripping out the interior of my 1982 W123 4 door and cant seem to get the C Pillar trim off! I don't want to just yank it off in case I break something.

Any Ideas?! Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Matt

If it is anything like the W116 which shares some trim with the W123. The rear pillars are the same as I used the exterior trim from the W123 on the W116. The manual says:
1 Remove backrest
2 Remove sheet metal end piece on top edge protection
3 Pull edge protection at top sideways
4 Unscrew screw at front corner
5 Pull off panelling on rear pillar in forward direction

Like all things they make it sound more simple than it probably is. It is difficult to get much of the trim off and even harder to replace.

Thanks Marku,
The rear seat and everything is all out as are the door seals strips etc.
So it should be a case of pulling it forward now.

Ill see how it goes!

Thanks again

Matt

Well They are off!!
Just needed a clear head and a second look at it! :)
Once the weather strip is removed, there are 3 clips in between the metal work. These need to be pushed up and in. (Obvious when you see them!). Once these 3 clips are out the panel just pulls forward and off the rear locating clip.
I have some photos, so when I get a spare 5 mins ill post them up to show what I mean.

Thanks

Matt

Great you got them off without trouble. I have to say that I did not have too much confidence in the manual instructions as I said they do tend to make it sound very easy. Couldn't make any real sense of the accompanying photograph so would very much like to see those you have taken

Here are the pics I have. I hope they make some sense!!

The first pic, shows the metal edge that is exposed when the door aperture Seal/weather strip has been removed.
In the gap you can see the 3 clips holding the trim panel on. The photo below shows one of the 3 clips.

To remove the panel, you need to push up on each clip and then push it pack so it goes into the hole behind (it makes sense when you do it!)

Once all 3 clips are released simply reach in and with a jerk, pull the trim panel forward to release it.

I hope that all makes sense and is of some help to someone!!

Thanks

Matt

I suppose you have to do it to understand but great that it came off without problem. My experience has been that it is never quite what MB says in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom