W123 cluster**** (I mean bulbs)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

123andAway

Car
W123 280e
Hi Folks,

1982 W123

I want to replace all the instrument cluster bulbs with LEDs, to brighten the cluster up at night (like its owner, it’s a bit dim). Can someone give me a link to the correct LED bulbs to use and let me know if this swap would work. Also, will they dim as normal from the rheostat?
Thanks a lot.

Have you tried opening and cleaning the rheostat? They respond well to a clean up.

Somehow doubt they would dim as current ordinary bulbs do, as I've not seen dimmable LED's of the size used in a dashboard, plus I know a different type of dimmer switch is needed if I want to change our living room lights to LED's!

Actually after posting the question I did more research and of course Kent Bergsma sells a kit, which won’t be the cheapest but at least will be the correct bulbs. I wish I could find the exact name of the bulbs, because they would be much cheaper bought direct from UK.

Have you the driver's hand book?, info may be in there.
Also have a look at niemoller mercedes.de

Have you the driver's hand book?, info may be in there.
Also have a look at niemoller mercedes.de
A 1982 car handbook will have information on about LED bulbs? 🤔

@123andAway did you have any joy?
So I shied away from Kent’s bulbs because of the price. I tried some which my mechanic said were the same but they were no better, indeed worse than the original bulbs. The problem was they didn’t spread the light, so the illumination was worse on parts of the cluster. I did get my mechanic to solder the rheostat into a permanent high position so at least it won’t play up now. I’ve gone back to normal bulbs until I can find some better LEDs.

Reactions: dot
Agree 123andAway. Have tried 3 sets of LED reversing lights on my CLK, none worked (SAMS?) got my money back on 2 sets.
I fitted the last set to my 190B and the don't appear to be any brighter than originals. May use less juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom