W123 Coupe sacrilege

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeasidePete

Car
W123 230ce, W220 S500, W219 CLS, W124 300ce
Not for the purists!

I finally have all the parts for my little project, an overhaul and a bit of a pimp my ride thing.

I bought my 123 about a year ago. I was looking for my first classic but didn't know what. Early S class, w123/124 e300, BMW e9, 2002 (funds didn't cover these 2!)....but when I found my 123 I totally fell for it:
Screenshot_20190511-223045~3.png
(sorry for the noise in the picture, it was snowing!)

She is totally sound, only small rust patches on bumpers, chrome a little dull. The tacho wasn't working, neither was intermittent wipers. Both now fixed. Basically a cracking car that looks great but the ride is sloppy, brakes weak and interior is fabric so....

...it begins.

First in was a 12 speaker audio upgrade with a 12" sub - done

Then new wheels, original 1980s 15" Rials up from the 14" bunts. I sourced a set from a collector who doesn't normally like to be named (he has a 500sec gullwing in his collection for those that know!)
Screenshot_20190511-225107_compress55.jpg
Next up some rubber
IMAG0870_compress29.jpg
R15 205 55 up from R14 195 70

Next are lowering springs from H&R - 50mm lower front and back
IMAG0868_compress43.jpg

Then original Bilsteins (comfort)
IMAG0869_compress24.jpg

And finally a complete brake overhaul
IMAG0867_compress77.jpg

I haven't gone for new calipers. I've got pretty good at referbing old rusty calipers using a combo of electrolysis and grinder so ill clean up the originals and spray them white.

I'm also transfering a cream leather interior from a c124 I'm breaking into the w123. The rear bench is in but needs a little repair. For the fronts you can't just transfer the seats so I'm having the repair and fabric front seats re-upholstered with the covers from the c124 by the professionals.

I hope to have all this done before the summer so will post updates here as I go.

Congrats, It's your car and you can do whatever you like. Sloppy steering will have more to do with worn bushings and pitman / idler arm than anything else but it never hurts to put new springs and shocks.

Good advice.I did the track control arms on the rear, replacing the plastic ones for stainless steels ones, made a massive difference. I'll do this change first then if I still have issues will tackle the bushings. Was looking at poly ones. Any advice/thoughts?

Good advice.I did the track control arms on the rear, replacing the plastic ones for stainless steels ones, made a massive difference. I'll do this change first then if I still have issues will tackle the bushings. Was looking at poly ones. Any advice/thoughts?

Rubber bushings are fine, just stick to Lemforder or MB OE for anything that's made of rubber. There's a lot of cheap Chinese made brands out there which are complete junk and don't last long. Unfortunately everybody shops on price which has caused many quality suppliers to discontinue support for older MB's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers alabbasi

Just dropped the car off at my local (garage, not pub) for the tyres and wheels to go on and got a sneak peek. I don't have a picture of that (forgot my phone!) but will get some ASAP but I can tell you that they look cracking. So pleased.

I'll do before and after pics of the whole thing but here's a few more before pics minus the snow!

C123 as is 1

C123 as is 2

C123 as is 3

C123 as is 4

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this, and plenty of pics please. :D

Had to collect the old wheels from the garage (14" bunts, will be up for sale) so took a few pics...

C123 wheels on 4

C123 wheels on 2

C123 wheels on 3

Everything is filthy, looking forward to the detailing job!

Nice.

Rials are period correct as they are exactly the same design as AMG wheels pre penta so no sacrilege in my eyes. I personally would drop the front even more !

Cheers Pmp. The front is coming down 2" over the weekend! My only concern is that the rear is doing the same. The only H&R springs I could get drop both rear and front the same. If necessary I'll look at spacers

I think some rear wheel spacers are also required to bring the wheels out a bit.

All old mercs look a bit high at the front due to the large front arches and tiny rear arches. I personally would try and have the thickest possible spring pad (if the actually have them ?) on the rear and the thinnest on the front to try and even it up. I wouldn't worry if it sits a bit nose down, it's a look that suits them, they are rwd after all :)

That's new wheels (Rial) new tyres (205, 60, r15) new suspension (k&r lowering springs and bilstein shocks) new brake discs, pads, lines) new near side front bearing.

Totally happy with the stance but I think the rears need to be spaced out. Maybe just 10mm.

What's next.....

Leather seats out of my c124.
Exhaust had an advisory so I think a quad pipe conversion is on the cards soon.
Complete respray (gulp).

Welcome thoughts on colour. Love the original but I really like black as I think it sets the chrome off lovely.

Just exhaust. Not got quad pipes but have had new z pipe and mid section but have left her alone recently while I played with my new one, a w124 coupe.

Excellent, you are now driving what I consider to be the coolest coupe on the road. And it's the same colour as mine!

I'm sometimes down in Newport, I have an office on the docks. Will let you know when I'm next down if you like, would be great to see another 230

Evening folks. A long time since my last post. I've been stuck renovating a very old house which sucks all of my time and money leaving very little of either for my toys. That said I have gone back to the old girl and tinkered a little. New wheels, complete new exhaust and lowering some more, 2inch at the front and about 30mm or so at the rear.

20200830_224008-COLLAGE.jpg
20200830_224056-COLLAGE.jpg
20200830_224113-COLLAGE.jpg

Oh.... and my front bumper is missing :rolleyes: rusted bumper reinforcement so have new ones on order from Germany.

I have already had some delivered but the wrong parts were sent. They supplied parts for a 300d w123 :wallbash:

These will probably up for sale shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom