w123 diesel wanted.. Badly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrayson

Car
'86 w123 230e...
mornin people.

Well, Ive sold me scoobs (290 bhp -0-60 in bout 5.2 secs) to a very disgruntled chap but now have the cash for a w123 240d that I have to have. Are they really THAT slow though? As slow as what? I'm currently running round town in 2001 1.2 Punto (60 bhp -0-60 in 13 secs.)..

Anybody selling one?

ta.

Steven

Hi there Steven and welcome to the forum.As you already know,there are slow but they`ll get anywhere you like to go.

why is he disgruntled?

The W123 diesel is snails pace slow...

However if you can lay your hands on a 300 turbo diesel then you are onto a winner... you will only find them in left hand drive though.

Are they really THAT slow though? As slow as what? I'm currently running round town in 2001 1.2 Punto (60 bhp -0-60 in 13 secs.)..

I think they're quite a bit slower than that!

Are you sure you want/need a W123 diesel? Might be better solutions to your motoring needs if this is to be a daily car :)

Will

Well, Ive sold me scoobs (290 bhp -0-60 in bout 5.2 secs) to a very disgruntled chap but now have the cash for a w123 240d that I have to have. Are they really THAT slow though? As slow as what?

Does it have to be a 240D? I remember a trip as a passenger in a W123 300D (5-cylinder non-turbo) from Morecambe to Sheffield to Glasgow and back to Morecambe one long day back in the early 1980s, and I was smitten with the car. It cruised comfortably and quietly at 75-80 mph and was incredibly comfortable compared to my beloved 1981 VW Golf GTI.

After about 12 hours driving, plus two site visits (Sheffield and Glasgow) and lunch, I arrived back at the start point around midnight feeling remarkably relaxed. I think that experience made me want to own a Mercedes-Benz and I got my wish four and a half years ago, with a 1995 W124 300 Diesel (6-cylinder non-turbo) which I still own.

My point is, why go for a noisy and sluggish 240D when there is a 300D with more power and more refinement? It probably won't use any more fuel.

Hi,

I've a 300, 123 and 300SD.

The 300 is everything Tony remembers. Yes, slowish on take-off, but not too bad, and cruising at 80/85 in total comfort is a joy, a really happy feeling. The 116 is another smile on your face drive. I love them both - the 124 is for sale. You can't beat this era. Both return less tha 10 ltrs per 100 kms, the 123 around 8.
I've driven a couple of 240's and they are painfully slow - and I'm an old git.

If you want any help finding one, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
Ideally you need a glaciologist to measure the acceleration of a 240 diesel. As others have said the 300 is less slow.

Wasn't a 240D something like 25 seconds 0-100kmh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom