w123 engine problem advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
Looking for some advice on a w123 230e with the 102.980 engine. The car has been in storage for a while and appears to have suffered a timing chain problem - the engine will only turn on the crank pulley through about 60 degrees - and then locks solid. The most likely cause is bent valve(s) I guess. Has anyone had experience of this and know whether the head survives this sort of problem - ie would it be new valve(s), gasket set, and timing chain or is there more to it than that? And any tips on the best place to buy parts from - other than the MD of course.

If you take the off the oil filler cap I think you will see the timing chain, turn the crank and see if the chain moves.

Timing chains are pretty resilient. I'd take a guess that a valve has stuck open - and can probably be freed.
Get the cam cover off and investigate further. A stuck valve will be obvious. Remove the spark plugs as well. The possibility of coolant having flooded a cylinder and causing a hydraulic lock can't be discounted. Whatever else you do - be very gentle. Don't force anything.

The timing chain moves and looks OK. The coolant level is OK as well. The only way to find out is to take the head off I guess.

As Bellow said if you take the cam cover off you should see if a valve has stuck down,I would do that before attacking the head.

The timing chain moves and looks OK. The coolant level is OK as well. The only way to find out is to take the head off I guess.
Much can be ascertained by removing the cam cover. Unless a valve is actually bent, and any stuck valves can be freed from above, there's no reason to remove the head. A freed stuck valve can be checked for truth (ie, sealing) with a compression test.

The small amount of liquid required to hydraulic lock a cylinder is probably less that can be seen to be missing from the cooling system. Removing spark plugs nails this in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom