W123 Estate: Not so good - in fact very bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grahamf505

Ok, I'm going to confess. I went to look at a W123 230 TE yesterday. It was in a bit of a mess and I walked away from it, the main problem being corrosion, specifically to the front bulkhead where the pre-tensioner springs fix to hold the garage door (I mean bonnet....) open. These mounts were corroded away and the springs not attached.

I took it out for a drive and there was a strange wobble at about 45 mph which disappeared at about 50mph. Difficult to tell if this was wheel balance or something else as it felt a bit a bit vague. In fact, this is the most accurate way to describe the whole driving experience! The steering also felt loose and in-precise, particularly at low speed. True to form, the drivers seat base had also collapsed, making the seat feel a bit like sitting on a wooden bench!

However, on the plus side, the motor was quiet, very willing and the transmission smooth. I'm not sure what it would have been like at speed as I only took it up to 60mph, but got the feeling that constant adjustment to the steering wheel would have been been necessary to maintain a straight line. Probably OK on an empty autobahn or French autoroutes, but not so good on our congested motorways.

Maybe I have been spoilt by big car Peugeot handling and roadholding. I can throw my 505 Estate around without hardly any body roll and the ride is firm and very stable. The steering control is also very accurate. The only downside is that these big Pug Estates are a little low geared having a 4.1:1 diff,unless you get the GTI or GTD turbo diesel version witha 3.7:1 diff so tend to be noisy at speed.

I'd like to know if what I have experienced is typical of W123 charachteristics or whether this one was a poor example. If it is, then maybe a W123 is not the car I should be looking at. Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

The main thing is the steering box. It will handle much better with a new one. They do have some adjustment, but will probably be a new one. About £150 plus fitting.
The corrosion is due to drain holes being blocked. Could be a constant headache really as you will find more and more rust.
Wobling could be due to tyres, suspension...
I think youve just come across a badly maintained one, but could sort it all out v cheap.
You were right to walk away as this sort of 123 will demand constant attention.

Keep Looking

Jay

Cheap Merces

Don't know what your budget is or where your live, you might find a good deal
from a company like East Coast Salvage
May be a similar company near you.
As the vehicles are repossessions they are strictly 'as seen'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom