W123 fan switch broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrTibbs

Hi,

A couple of months ago the fan switch in my 230CE stopped working. I had the fan on while I cleared the snow off the car and when I got back in it had stopped, and the fan won't come on at all. I've taken the actual fan out and touched the wires on the battery terminals - the fan works!

Have also tested the resistance with a micro-meter, and it's got total resistance at all settings (did flicker a bit a couple of times but now is totally dead).

So, my question is...

Is this a common fault? and is there an easy fix for it? I think there's one on ebay at the moment, so assuming it's working I can replace the switch that's in there, but was wondering if there's a similar fix to the dash lights (ie just short something out).
Also, has anyone taken one of these out? so far I've taken the wood trim where the sunroof, heated screen etc switches are as well as the wood over the heater switches, but it looks like I have to take the whole central console out to get the flaming fan switch out. Can anyone tell me an easier way to get it out or do I have to take most of the interior out to get at this thing?

Cheers.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom