w123 flex disk change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
The car has auto box (w123 diesel). Are there any big issues I need to watch out for when changing the flex discs? It looks easy enough, though awkward. Hints?
thanks

WIS says to mark the flanges so they are re-assembled the way they were.

SCEH you need to view this being done on the you tube video lots on there ..give you more idea,, on how to go about this replacment..And as for the flexi disc do purchase a Mercedes part .Or a well known one like Lanforder i dont like after market ..

Thanks. I never expected something so specific on a Youtube video so I hadn't looked!
I still have questions though..
The parts catalogue and the WIS talk about a vibration damper too though none of the videos show this. I have checked on mine and it doesn't have them on the prop shaft.
Has anybody done this job without a lift? Is there enough room to do it if I simply use a ramp for the front wheels when I do the front disc? The ramp will raise the wheels about 10 inches.
The rear is another problem. I can raise it on the ramps but since the wheels are taking the weight they won't move so I can't rotate the prop shaft unless I then jack up one of the wheels I suppose - all very precarious and dangerous.

The rear will be easier if you use ramps at the front and then jack the rear end under the diff, then just use axle stands under the chassis.

For what is worth i would take it in to a good garage and let them sort it out on the 4 poster .Thats what i did they are changing them most every day on one car or another .And there not much of a change on any Mercedes rear wheel drive cars . Just pick up an original flexi joint they last longer than most do..Did you check the drive shaft centre bearing support.Also it would be best if you get both front and rear flexi disc in case thats split as well ,then you have them both at hand just in case. Important to purchase the right parts,so i would ask on the forum about partnumber .I dont know about your W123 all i have info on is the W124.

Last edited:
I did it before on my 124 which is probably quite similar. I put the rear up on ramps. As said already, mark everything so that it all goes back the same. I replaced the centre bearing at the same time as the rubber mount was loose/worn. It's an easy job if you are handy.

Would it not be easier to work from the side and simultaneously have access to both ends of the prop shaft without having all of the car in the air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom