W123 Gearbox/Clutch Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

31records

Car
W123 230E.
Hello All

I have a 5 Speed W123 and for the past month I have had real trouble engaging first and second, such that I’m really fighting with the gearbox for the first 5 mins driving.

Now I can’t even select a gear – even with two hands the gearstick won’t have it! So I’m now stuck in neutral and I will not be going anywhere until it’s sorted. Any ideas?

I guess there’s more to this than ‘just’ bleeding the clutch.

Thanks in Advance.

Owen

First thing to change on this box are the bushes on the selector rods.. They will be well worn,.,mine had completely fell to bits.

If it will engage gear with the engine off but not on it's clutch drag.

As a test, try pressing the clutch down engaging gear and starting the car. It could be a faulty pressure plate or clutch hydraulics, either master or slave cylinder.

Thanks both for your advice, much appreciated.

Jaymanek – I knew you would have experience in this area after reading about your fantastic W123 engine swap with Mr Ian B Walker! I was convinced it might be a box problem but Dieselman you’re right I can engage gear when the engine is off but not on, so it must be the clutch. Once the engine is on I can deselect but not select gear.

Price of master/slave cylinders look reasonable (£46/£37 on eurocarparts) but is this a big job? I will have to take it into my local garage, so looking for an idea on labour.

Haynes manual suggests slave cylinder easier to replace than master cylinder.

Thanks

Owen

they are both easy to do. bleeding them can be a pain though... i use a mityvac

Great – thanks again Jaymanek – I’ll talk to the garage and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom