W123 Ignition Barrel Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJK

Car
1982 230 TE (so far)
Hi,

My W123 230TE has had the door locks tampered with and it looks like someone has rammed a screwdriver in them.

I have a W123 250T which I am dismateling for spares and have changed all the good locks, apart from the ignition lock, over.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to remove the barrel from the lock, or do I have to change the whole lock /steeting lock over.

Many thanks,
David

ok there was a really good diagram once, but to be fair i cant remember which forum. I think i already introduced you to the 123 forum, i think it may be on there. Basically you get it to posistion 1, i.e the pos when radio works and then u have to insert a thin rod or copper wire into the little hole on the ignition, somehow its supposed to pop out (will shoot off so be careful). When i tried on my spare/scrap/donor 123, i couldnt get it to work and i ended up going at it with a big drill, now the car starts only with a screwdriver!

123 club: http://groups.msn.com/W123Club/messageboard.msnw

Cheers

Jay

You need a 2mm dia piece of welding rod. Bent unto a "U" shape, chamfer the ends on the inside of the U. Put key in lock and turn to position one. Press U shaped rod into holes, wiggle a bit and keep pressing. It will release the locking catches and you will be able to remove the lock. Look very carefully at how the cover fits as you will have to put it back exactly as it came out. Takes 1 min max. Stealers? £30, you 30p. Nough said.

But on the 123, im sure mine only has one hole, i think the 124 has two. Otherwise as above!

Jay

jaymanek said:
But on the 123, im sure mine only has one hole, i think the 124 has two. Otherwise as above!

Jay
Thanks everyone, job now done. Decided to hack the whole mechanisum out of the donor and take that one apart then do the 230 properly.

By the way the W123 does only have one hole and you need to unscrew the black outer casing. As you sau 60 seconds and its done.

Thanks again
David

Indeed it only has one hole, but it dosent pop out or anything. You push the rod in, i always use a 2mm allen key, then pull on the key and it will slide out easily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom