w123 ignition barrel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manta1973

Car
240d, CLK CDi
Hello Everyone,

Some low life tried to steal my 240D last night, why anyone would want to steal the power house that is my 240D is beyond me but in the process smashed the passenger side rear quarter window in the door, stole the stereo and damaged the ignition barrel making it impossible to start.
I remember reading somewhere about an easy way to replace the barrel, does anyone have details on this?
Also does anyone know where I can source one?

Cheers

Steven

the w124 and w123 quite similar break the look (or drill in the lock) so u can turn it with crew driver, once steering is unlocked unscrew it and replace it. the wires at the back will only come off if the ignition lock is switched on and steering unlocked.

the other alternative to drop who steering 2 people job then u can take off the ignition replace and bolt back the steering with brackets.

if u get off the rack and u cannot turn it u need to use grinder watch your fingers and slowly grind through the outer case until u can turn it with screw driver, try to avoid force to keep loom intact.

also since yours is diesel i am unsure if you would need ignition lock which meant for a diesel or petrol one will do.

sorry to give you the bad news

Last edited:
Sound W123's AND W124's are in great demand in former iron curtain countries and Africa. Very long lived prestige marque cars make them desirable and low level electronic content and lack of car specific coded electronic components means its easy to move stolen cars on.

I agree Dinoy,

Had a mate in Scotland who had his w123 robbed from outside their house and 2 other old Mercs stolen in the same area over 2 months!!

Sorry to hear about your car Manta!! Your pride and joy?

I had one 3 years back, bought it off guy on forum, Car seemed fine until engine started giving trouble had to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom