w123 lowering and wheel/tyre set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattwebb

Car
W201 2.0, w115 240D
hi

could anyone recommend whats the best wheel set up for the 40mm h&r lowering springs ? im thinking 17" wheels but i dont know what j i should get the wheels in and what tyre choice is best for the car, Also will i need new shocks because of changing the springs ?

any help would be much appreciated :)

matt

I don't know anything about the necessary offsets etc to be able to run 17s, but I fitted 15s to my W114 coupe, vs the 14 stock, and have also fitted H&R 55mm lowering springs. I didn't know the correct shocks so contacted H&R directly and they pointed me to the stiffer Bilsteins than the stock B4 - you could contact them direct, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

As said you really want some new dampers to match the lowering springs. Wheel wise w123s are a tricky one... most alloys look bloody awful on them IMO, especially large dia with properly low profile tyres and especially large dia modern examples. I wouldn't go any bigger than 16" dia and the only acceptable examples are period looking... BBS, Ronal R9 / AMG 'Pentas', Bundts/Mexican hats are the only examples that come to mind. Personally i think 123s are one of the few cars that nearly always look better with steel wheels
I've got a vague recollection that the stock wheels should be around ET25, something like a 15 x 7 would want to be ~ ET23 and 16 x 8 (assuming 8" isn't too wide to cause clearance problems, especially at the front) around ET11? [/vague guestimation]

The springs are now ordered, can anyone link me to the correct sports shocks I will need ? I would like to get them ordered to ready :)

And yes I have gone for the bbs wheels I think 16" is the size I'm gonna go towards too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom