w123 no dash illumination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adile220

Car
1996 W124 E220 Coupe
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows where I can start to look in order to find out why my dash does not illuminate on my 1978 w123 280e?

Possibly a fuse as no lights are on (dash binnacle or centre console).

Also if anyone knows if these cars had rear seatbelts?

Thanks,

Adil

my w124 just did this and the problem was a break in a solder joint at the instrument panel rheostat FWIW. My fuses were all intact and this suddenly happened. Good luck in tracing....

Try turning the dimmer rheostat a few times.

Spray some electical contact cleaner into rheostat, it may work.

Thanks all,

Where is the rheostat?

Best

Adil

It's the trip reset button. It doubles up as the interior lights dimmer.

Ok!

Thanks for explaining.

I am waiting for some contact spray - bought the WD40 branded electrical contact spray which is hopefully decent.

Will update with outcome.

Best.

Adil

Make sure it is contact cleaner ^^^ ... The WD bit stands for water dispersal I believe. You need cleaner.

If its busted, pull out cluster and jump rheostat, you' not use dimming anyway.. At max its really dimm already

With regards to the seatbelt question, yes seat belts were available but back then there were listed as optional accessories. If your interior is cream I might have a set

Thanks all,

Tried contact spray to no avail.

Something I noticed - its not only the dash that is not illuminating, as the heater controls are not lighting up either...

Is this a clue to what it may be?

Its only the gear lever lighting that seems to be working at the moment.

Best,

adil

In this case it sounds like it is the fuse on the back of the speedo pod. It looks like a bulb holder but is red, here is a pic of what you're looking for.

Just a quick edit. I'm not sure if the 123 has this fuse. Hopefully someone can chime in with some better informed info.

Last edited:
Its the rheostat that controls all the illumination across dash and heaters etc,.

Pull the cluster forward and wedge a piece of wire between the two contact strips... It will run on brightest setting then..
The proper fix is to replace the rheostat.

jaymanek said:
Its the rheostat that controls all the illumination across dash and heaters etc,. Pull the cluster forward and wedge a piece of wire between the two contact strips... It will run on brightest setting then.. The proper fix is to replace the rheostat.

What sort of paper you recommending? A corner of a £20 note ok?

Jaymanek , RKC - Thank you both.

Fault has been resolved - can't wait to drive at night to test her out! !!

Am really regretting having to sell it - I hope that the w124 coupe is a worthy replacement!

All the best

Adil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom