W123 - Running hotter side of warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dot

Car
1985 W123 300TD & 1990 W124 300TE
Morning,

I'm bringing up what seems at first sight as a subjective issue of running temperature on a W123 diesel. Looking around the US forums there seems to be varying views on running anywhere from under 80 degrees to just over 100.

I'm obviously still acquainting myself with my 300TD, with various work streams ongoing, but she's a running and lovely vehicle. My issue is it's running 95-100 degrees all the time, in all weathers. Rad hot at top and cool at the bottom. I turned the heater up, and full

So yesterday I drained just about all the coolant, including the block drain plug. I had previously drained and refilled the radiator with fresh 50/50 mix, but I thought it odd it only took around 4 litres (yes, yes, yes I know, I thought the bottom most point would drain the lot). The temp gauge didn't change at all after this, so yesterday what came out of the rad had gone a bit brown, and what came from the block looked like pure water.

I removed the thermostat and tested it. It was a bit grimy and tbh didn't perform that well, so I replaced it. I checked the new one before installing swell - it was a lot better.

I removed all the pipes for checking, they seemed ok.

I refilled, bled, filled a bit more with Bluecol and waited for the weather to cool a bit and embarked on a test run.

NO change grrrrrrrr.....

I don't want to sit in the camp of the car sitting near 100 degrees all the time (my others have all sat around 80-85 mark), so I'm asking what is possibly the obvious question - water pump next and rad replacement, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dot

How much did you coolant did you drain?Did you measure?

A blockage,possibly?

Hi dot, you do not mention the radiator cap pressure markings , has it got the correct cap ? or if the gauge itself has been tested (no idea how you would get that checked) Best of luck :thumb:

Reactions: dot
Hi dot, you do not mention the radiator cap pressure markings , has it got the correct cap ? or if the gauge itself has been tested (no idea how you would get that checked) Best of luck :thumb:
It’s a Mercedes 120 degrees cap.

@audiavant - I did flush through from top and bottom, in total I got about 8 litres out, and back in again!

Dot

Any chance you have an air bubble in there? I've experienced similar issues in OM617 powered cars and it was usually air, rather than any expensive repair. YMMV. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom