W123 Speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dot

Car
1985 W123 300TD & 1990 W124 300TE
Ahoy all, I’ve fitted a rather nice Blaupunkt MR21 Hamburg stereo into my W123, and I’m getting awful sound from the speakers, no real volume either. I’ve had a look at the speakers and they’re Blaupunkt too, but can anyone suggest any alternatives? I’ve also got two speakers in the rear at the top, and I’m getting nothing out of them at the moment either, but I want to get the fronts sorted first. I know the radio is ok, it’s fresh off the test bench.

Ta, Dot

if you want more volume you need to connect the head end up to an external amp. Re speakers just about any good branded spearker such as Pioneer , Kenwood, Alpine etc will give you a superior sound in comparison to the stock speakers.

Reactions: dot
Ta, but aren’t they a special size? I had this issue with my 124 a few years back. Never found any that fit.

Strangely with a 124 I just picked up one of the Pioneer speakers had shorted out. The guy in the shop (that had been there for years I may add) scratched his head, went to a store at the back of his unit and came back with a boxed brand new one pair of W124 Pioneers, complete with dust on the box and original price of £37. And that is what I no paid for them, working perfectly…. 😁

You could give these a go....see below...they are the alternate for the pioneer recomended speakers which were Pioneer TS-G1033i 10cm 3 way.

I presume you are talking about the door speakers ? If it is the rear shelf unless you want to keep the car original you are free within reason to do what you like. I my W123 coupe back in the day I removed the medical compartment and put a 10in Bass driver in its place.

From memory, the speakers in a W123 care in the dash.
Can’t remember the size but iirc I used to have to cut off on of the fixing lugs and attach it with three screws.
You’ll also need a VERY short stubby poxi to remove the grille screws.

From memory, the speakers in a W123 care in the dash.
Can’t remember the size but iirc I used to have to cut off on of the fixing lugs and attach it with three screws.
You’ll also need a VERY short stubby poxi to remove the grille screws.
The originals I believe are Rainbow speakers.

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom