W123 V8 560 6 speed manual anyone? Part 1…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zappa

Car
230CE
About 5 years ago I embarked on this project with all the enthusiasm and intention to fully see this through, we had the car, a nice 230 C123 which I had spent a winter laying underneath it, rebuilding the front suspension and steering, replacing bushes seals shocks, springs and various other things to get the car driving and steering in the right direction.

Next, I gave the standard engine a service, and changed the cam chain, guides, valve seals etc

I must add here that I’m not in the motor trade or have the facilities of a nice spacious workshop, with all the work being done in a narrow precast cold leaking concrete garage, equipped with average tools and a useless fan heater, though I did install power and lighting being an electrician by trade.

There were times I really wanted to pack it in, wandering why I thought buying a friends old classic car was a good idea when I could no longer feel my fingers and the wallet was getting thinner.

I was helpfully informed back then by a ‘new friend’ behind the parts counter at my local Benz dealer that Mercedes accountants had just suddenly had the great idea of increasing the price of classic parts dramatically, great I thought…still not put off yet.

The winter garage work paid off and we drove a good few thousand miles that included trips to Wales, The Lakes, North Devon and to the top of the Netherlands (Holland, in old money) to visit the wife’s parents, all trouble free.

During this time I joined MB Club and learned a lot from the good people on here, most of the time lurking and understanding, with one or two posts of my own.

I also read up a lot on the 123, obsessively as my wife would say, and learned about various projects done by people.

I obsessed about changes, off came the standard 14” Barock, Bundt, Mexican hat whatever you like to call them wheels, on went a set of 15”Penta replicas found on the Bay, bought from a bloke who neglected to inform me that they weren’t matching offsets of the four wheels, three different sizes to be precise, I didn’t check, they all looked the same from a distance, and I didn’t even have my beer goggles on at the time.

The Pentas lasted a couple of months before I realized I no longer wanted them, preferring the Mexican Buntrock cake hat look, but still wanting 15 x 7 rims.

So trawling various sites, going to view not so ‘excellent condition’ ones, and seeing the price of 40 year old genuine 15” Mercedes unicorn ones, mostly in the USA. I eventually found what I wanted, and ‘invested’ in a set of five Maxilites (more on these later) and new tyres, needless to say the wife didn’t know how much they cost, and I forgot to tell her…

With myself not being a purist when it comes to vehicles, and having one or two old classic bikes that are definitely not standard, I looked with interest at the W123 V8 conversion…”oh dear, here we go again, please don’t” she said, and I suddenly lost my hearing.

Coming up next, I start to let the tail wag the dog and start hiding genuine parts invoices from ‘er in doors…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom