w123 very low clutch bite point.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2011dandd

Car
S124 e220
Hey guys
I have a 1983 300d 5 speed manual

I had a garage I always use change my clutch slave and master cylinders. Since then the biting point is really low almost instant. And the pedal feels very soft.

i asked them to bleed it again which they did and assured me that no air was in the system. But the problem remains.
Can anybody help with the cause of the problem please?

thanks

Dan

Dan Do you have the dual system, where brakes and clutch use the same fluid tank ..A leaking brake cylinder could let fluid out Check the tank you will see a section for the brakes , and another for the clutch .are they both full ? Did the clutch work ok before ? Also do check at the clutch master cylinder for leaks .

Last edited:
Why did you have the master and slave cylinders changed ? Was the pedal low before the work was done, I think your clutch may be at the end of its life.

Hi,
When replacing the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder the actuating rods on the units are meant to be adjusted to a specific length to maintain a specific amount of free play in the pedal (at least they are on a c class 202), this would effect the biting point of the pedal.
I wouldn't eliminate completely whether there is air in the system as its notoriously difficult to bleed due to the tortuous route of the hydraulic pipework, my 202 wouldn't bleed up at all until it was pressure bled.

Cheers chaps

it’s in the lock up at the mo so can’t check but from memory I’m sure it’s the twin reservoir.

clutch went on me at just as I got on to the m1. Pedal stayed on the floor. Needed a new slave cylinder then the garage rang a back and said I needed a new master cylinder to.

I need to check all the above, get underneath and check if the shim/ plastic dancer is behind the slave cylinder and check the system for leaks and if repro parts are correct. Got to sort a a new ignition barrel for a Volvo 240 at the mo so the merc will have to wait to until next week.
Cheers though, I appreciate the advice.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom