W123 very rust corners under rear window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2011dandd

Car
S124 e220
Hi
There corners under my rear window on my 300d are very rusty indeed. Obviously I need a new seal desperately. But in terms of sorting out the rust, are repair sections available?
On the right there is a sizeable hole and water gets into the boot pretty rapidly.
Looks like a very tricky repair to me. I have only had the car about 4 months and even with the above problem I thought that the price was right.
Since we have had it it’s been garaged and we only use it when it’s dry to keep the water out.
Has anyone had repairs carried out to the same area? Can any advice be offered?
Cheers

Probably have to fabricate sections. They won't be available as repair sections. Maybe a whole cowl or a pillar.

PART NO 8 may be what you are after? section 64 rear end A1236470001 BUT CHECK THIS
Body Rear End | 200 Mercedes-Benz w123
fe1c99d3398dce642992e72f51bcb320.png

Last edited:
MERCEDES-BENZ W123 BUYER'S GUIDE | Classics World
quote:-
Saloon and Coupe models are prone to rusting out underneath the parcel shelf at the rear, which can be seen from outside by rust bubbles around the rear window or the pillar trim finishers on saloons. Rear window rubbers are often the cause, deteriorating, letting water in, and then deteriorating unseen. If it’s visible outside then there is certainly work to do, this is a structural area and the shell is compromised unless a repair is carried out to a professional standard. Be very wary of cars with damage or corrosion in this area.

rear-rust1-jpg.82877

See this post also which gives a good indication what you will find [ coupe but saloon will be similar.
Rear Window Rust Repair

Last edited:
If I saw that on one of my cars, I'd let it go elsewhere. I've got an E46 BMW coupe that reminds me every time I want to do work on it, that it lived by the seaside. It's been a pain for brakes and replacement wings etc no end and the bleed valves were non-existent. Thank the lord I had a parts car...

Early days with the mercs right now but I'm expecting surprises.

Got really distracted by other projects. This is something I need to get on with, I don’t want it to be just a fair weather used car. Need to first get the glass and old seal out to investigate just how bad the rust is. Nervous

Got really distracted by other projects. This is something I need to get on with, I don’t want it to be just a fair weather used car. Need to first get the glass and old seal out to investigate just how bad the rust is. Nervous
I’m just sorting out the same problem. Where in the country are you? The rust you can see with the glass in is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

DE433A63-D4A8-495F-9442-712AA359AD72.jpeg

Attachments

• 07468C7F-E64A-4E03-9AD0-C30A012EF742.jpeg
    07468C7F-E64A-4E03-9AD0-C30A012EF742.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Just spent the last half hour having a look. Even got in the boot with a torch to look up. Took first aid box out of the parcel shelf and had a good feel around.

Underneath the window all feels sound at the moment the extent of the damage seems largely in that really shit R/H corner. Will obviously know more when the rear window comes out.

The car is out of sight and mind really. Struggling to motivate myself. Need to make some space on the drive I reckon

It looks like both sides have been repaired / painted before. You're probably going to find filler in there - it is going to need some repair sections fabricated and welded in. Have you assessed the rest of the car for rust fully? Repairing the section around the rear window is not going to be cheap I'm afraid.

Just spent the last half hour having a look. Even got in the boot with a torch to look up. Took first aid box out of the parcel shelf and had a good feel around.

Underneath the window all feels sound at the moment the extent of the damage seems largely in that really shit R/H corner. Will obviously know more when the rear window comes out.

The car is out of sight and mind really. Struggling to motivate myself. Need to make some space on the drive I reckon
One option is to buy a MIG welder and repair yourself. Modern gas/ no gas MIG's are not difficult to use. Assuming you have off road space to carry out repairs it can be very satisfying.

You run the risk of things escalating quickly (££££) when you ask a body shop to start poking around old cars chasing down rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom