w123 water leaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarth

I seem to have the classic problem on the w123 estate that when it rains I end up with water in the rear foot wells. I need to remove the two plastic air vent covers on the bonnet/firewall to start with. They are attached with small square pegs that seem to push through. If I do this are they reuseable. In short, how to I get them off and remounted again?
Any other hints on water leaks welcome though!
thanks

The best person to ask is Mark Cosovich , the UK's leading restorer of and expert on the W123 series . Mark is a really nice guy and usually happy to give advice over the phone . His number below

01792 846888

With regard to the clips. Push the small centre square section through, it is likely it will drop in the space below the cover.

They are reuseable as long as the small centre section does not disappear into the bowels of the space below the covers.

There are a lot of videos on youtube done by an american guy whose name escapes me at the moment but if you enter mercedessource into the search you should get them.

Last edited:
W123 Water Leak

I had a similar problem which turned out to be the front screen rubber. Water was leaking in at the top corner then running down the inside of the A post, then along the inner face of the sill and into the rear footwell every time there was a heavy downpour

I cleared the drains under the bonnet and removed the two air vent covers (thanks for the tip) and also made sure the sunroof drains were not blocked at the top end. No obvious leaks under the air vents and the drains are clear. Went out in the rain and came back with a swimming pool at both sides in the rear. It's an estate car btw.
Where else could this be coming from? Underneath?

How do your bonnet hinge cavities and plenum chamber look? Are they clear of debris and rust free?

Also, has anybody installed door mounted speakers or have any of the door cards been off at all? There is a plastic sheet behind each door card that would keep water out of the car, if this has been removed or not reinstated correctly I think water could find it's way into the cabin.

Have you checked properly behind the bonnet hinges... mine have gone there twice.

You need to remove all the carpet at the front and then have someone hold a hose over the car until you can trace the trickle... and it may not be easy as the water sometimes travels in between the steel and the sound proofing material...

W123 Water Leak

Have you checked the screen rubber? The symptoms are exactly the same as I had on my estate!!

Probably the best thing would be to remove all carpets , sill trims etc , and sit in the car while you get someone to play a hose all over the car until you can see where it is coming in .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom