W124 - 12 Valve Diesel or Multivalve Diesel 24v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

northernlad

Car
Mercedes e220 cabriolet , Vario 814, Sprinter 311,
Sold my Diesel Multivalve a few days ago, so looking to replace it with either another Multivalve or a 12v Diesel, I have never owned a 12 valve, but the bodies look in better condition and some have some nice check upholstery and even velour . Please can someone highlight the differences between them, is the 12 Valve asthmatic like the 250D or could I live with it?

I had a 12v manual estate from new in 1986, and it did seem very slow, but I got used to it over around 70k miles in 2 -3 years. I presently have both a 250 and a 300 24v autos. I can tell little difference between them and they're both fast enough for me. One big variable though; I'm over 1/4 of a century older, so my driving style may have changed a bit!

Once you've owned a multivalve for a while you won't want to go back to a 12 valve

Nick Froome

Good to know, these cars are on my 'seriously consider' list for the next time I need a car.

The multivalve turbo in the w210 is a great engine

There's a complete 300 Multivalve turbo engine on eBay for £400. That'd make a W124 sit up and take notice but you'd need an Alda unit for fuelling

Nick Froome

There's a complete 300 Multivalve turbo engine on eBay for £400. That'd make a W124 sit up and take notice but you'd need an Alda unit for fuelling

Nick Froome

Now that would be interesting! mmmm

To do a conversion like this, what else would need changing? As in could you do it to any 124 or would it be a much easier job if it started as a diesel in the first place?

Last edited:
Charles Morgan was getting quite enthusiastic about my suggestion of a W124 OM606 turbo, which were only done for Europe in LHD. Plenty about on the Euro sites. Possibly a better bet than a transplant if you don't mind LHD.

Charles Morgan was getting quite enthusiastic about my suggestion of a W124 OM606 turbo, which were only done for Europe in LHD. Plenty about on the Euro sites. Possibly a better bet than a transplant if you don't mind LHD.

I don't mind lhd. What are these badged as?

They are called 300 turbo diesel. Not sure the badge. Mobile.de the German car site has a few - they have higher hp numbers.

I'm tempted but not just yet.

They are called 300 turbo diesel. Not sure the badge. Mobile.de the German car site has a few - they have higher hp numbers.

I'm tempted but not just yet.
I don't want anything just yet as it would sit around unused but I really do prefer the 124 to the 126 to drive so it may get replaced at some point. I shall peruse for a while :thumb:

It gets a little complicated. The 606 NA engine replaced the 603 in the W124, then was taken over into the W210. In the 210 I believe, at least at first, it was available in NA and turbocharged versions. They were replaced by the OM 612 320 CDi engine

AFAIK all the W210 applications used Canbus, an electronic gearbox + gearbox ECU, engine ECU and an electrically-driven fuel rack. The earlier LHD turbo engines used a mechanical fuel device called an Alda to increase the fuelling to suit boost

The usual way of fitting turbo 606 engine uses an Alda on the engine to avoid using all the Canbus electronics & ECUs

Some people on here have done this conversion so, unlike me, know exactly what they're talking about

Nick Froome

Early W210 use an electrically controlled fuel pump, but are coupled with a hydraulic 722.4 gearbox and no CAN system. In the UK these are all atmo, but the rest of the world got Turbo versions.

I have learned to live with my 12v. Yes, it really could do with a bit more power, but I drive like a grandad. I haven't driven a multivalve, but like I said, you do get used to it, there's not much of a kick in the back over 70 so overtaking takes a bit of planning.

The facelifted post '93 cars went out with water-based paints, and goes some way to explaining their relatively poorer rust resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom