w124 1990 head gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slipNslide

Hey there. this is my first post here.

I have a 1990 W124 pillerless coupe. And there is thick goopey oily gunk in the coolant tank. doesn't seem to be any water in there what-so-ever.

Just wondered whats the likely cost for this to be repaired?

thanks guys.

Get them to check that the head has not warped, if it has it will add a few hundred more on the cost to get it skimmed.

You didn't mention the engine.

Best of luck.

Ade

Thanks for the reply guys

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a 2.3 auto.

Also a little off topic..

It is sitting on 18" amg replica wheels. just wondering what company made them out of curiosity.

thank you

There's a few companies that make AMG reps , they all differ slightly , can you get a picture ?

The two head skims I've had done on M103 engines (straight sixes) cost about £80 each. My mechanic says he's never removed an MB head that didn't need skimming.

With the 230 engine you have the older single cam 4cylinder engine. Cylinder head gasket failure is very common on these engines. As has been stated many of them require a skim to true up the surface. If you don't-- expect the Head Gasket to fail again quite quickly and your back to square one. A good repair should be good for 100,000 more miles.

Make sure your auto transmission fluid is OK since the heat exchanger pipes in the radiator are known to fail also which would give similar symptoms of oil[transmission fluid] contamination in the water. This is unlikely but should be checked also.

Irrespective of the engine type or age, I always have the head skimmed and new valve stem oil seals fitted. I also lap in the valves too, just to make sure that everything is right before re fitting the head.

Irrespective of the engine type or age, I always have the head skimmed and new valve stem oil seals fitted. I also lap in the valves too, just to make sure that everything is right before re fitting the head.
Ian, Is grinding paste still readily available on the market, course and smoothe ?

Not seen it on the shelf for years.

Yes it is, even Halfords etc still sell it :)

Will

I am a bit cionfused with mine.
2 mechanics say gasket, one says not a gasket.
One says it is leaking but not into the engine but down the side and has been doing for some months.

Anyway top up is about once in 2-3weeks, and oil and coolant still clear.
I cant be bothered fixing as we have decided to get another one soon.

I am a bit cionfused with mine.
2 mechanics say gasket, one says not a gasket.
One says it is leaking but not into the engine but down the side and has been doing for some months.

Anyway top up is about once in 2-3weeks, and oil and coolant still clear.
I cant be bothered fixing as we have decided to get another one soon.

OK one could use one of the modern sealers,, some go for 12 months or more

OK one could use one of the modern sealers,, some go for 12 months or more
I would not waste my time and money on any of these miracle fixes.

Only true fix is strip down and repair, or you will be on a countdown till problem arises again.

good if you are sure it is the gasket 100% and not a hose or matrix unit.

Waste of money and time if it is not

Make sure 104 engines not overfilled with oil.

Max level should be HALF WAY between lower and higher marks on dipstick.

There was a TSB issued on this - way back.

Oil capacity was REDUCED for 104 engines retrospectively from 7.5 down to 7 litres according to TSB.

Can be confirmed in later documentation that was issued with later cars.

So. do not fill up more than half way between dipstick marks and you will reduce the leaking/dribbling oil from engine.

Worked on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom