W124 1990 Indicators and combi removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andykeen

Car
1990 W124 260E
Good evening gents

Advice please if poss... I have purchased some clear indicators for the front to give it a slightly later look but dont where to start on how to remove and refit!! Any tips etc will be greatly received

How on earth does the dash combi instrument clocks come out!!?? Ive removed vents and half the dash and it still wont budge. Any ideas, again will be very much appreciated

Best wishes
Andy

Andy , with regards to the dash , do you mean the speedo clocks ? if so, they are just held in by pressure of four rubber blocks on the outside of the clock unit itself.

you need to get something (i used a 2 pieces of coat hanger) with a small hook on the end, and very gently slide it down each side of the clock unit ( one on each side) about 4 inches and then twist and gently and pull toward you until you feel it 'catch', you can then very carefully wiggle the clocks out , be careful of the speedo cable as it will need to be undone to get it right out. Also keep a note of where all the bulbs clip in eg ABS , as these will need to go back in the same places or your warning lights will be wrong ...

There is probably a special tool Mercedes make for this, if you aren't confident with the coat hanger, it might be worth enquiring about one of these.

If i remember correctly, (its a long while since i did mine) the indicators should just slide out with a bit of help from behind ..... have a look under the bonnet and make sure there are no clips to undo, but i think it just pushes into place .

cheers

H

p.s. why do you need to get the clocks out ?

Last edited:
Thanks for that howard. The most annoying thing in the world...... The little black centre pivot cover has fallen off the speedo needle!!?? Its laying in the bottom of the clocks and looks awful. Also a previous owner has cracked the glass very slightly in the top left corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom