w124 1991 Coupe springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elskan

Car
1991 W124 300E
Here is an interesting question -

My 1991 coupe is too low at the front and too high at the rear. The sump grounds.

The previous owner fitted new springs. IF he has fitted the rear springs at the front and fronts at the rear would this explain my problem?

Thanks

Wow that must be low.

Aftermarket springs can be pot luck as originally the cars were fitted with springs and pads to match the spec. The rubber pads alone have 4 (IIRC) different thicknesses. You could try a thicker pad (if possible) or start afresh with genuine parts on the front and see if it sits level.

Assuming it is the springs and something crazy isn’t wrong.

Reactions: 219

My 1991 coupe is too low at the front and too high at the rear. The sump grounds.

The previous owner fitted new springs. IF he has fitted the rear springs at the front and fronts at the rear would this explain my problem?

Thanks

The previous owner may have installed generic springs that were not appropriate for your car's spec. MB has a complex system of "points" for calculating spring specs from options. Auto box, for example, adds weight and thus points. On mine, even the radio added a point.

So, from your VIN, seek out the springs section of the EPC (parts catalogue) and start calculating. That should lead you to the correct references for front and rear springs. I even bought a complete set of all spring pads (shims) so that the stance of the car could be altered if necessary. Mine is a Sportline, and many think that the back sits slightly too high. I think I agree and it's not surprising as we chose the next stiffer spring for the rear from the point count that was at the top of the range for the less stiff spring.

Yes, it can be complicated but with MB springs you should get it right.

Bon courage.

RayH

Reactions: 219

Thanks
I 'think' the front and rear springs are so different that oughtn't to be possible .

There are copies of the Mercedes-Benz Electronic parts catalogue available online ; to be sure of the correct parts you really need to put in the first six digits of your chassis no 124.xxx ; for yours I have guesstimated a 1991 300CE coupe will be a 124.051 , but please check your car to see if this is correct .

That takes us to the page linked below , where there is a range of different springs and pads to choose from , depending on the exact spec of your car . If you want to get it right , you need to go to the dealer , who will work it out for you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom