W124 220CE slow idle when coming to stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBhowden

Car
1993 220 CE
Hi all,

I have been having a problem with idling, at any engine temp, when I come to a stop the revs drop to 600 to 700 and it stall on occasion.
If I put the car in neutral the revs lift and it avoids the stall.

I'm selling the car and a helpful prospective buyer located a connection on the air intake but said he thought one cylinder might be misfiring.

I thought to start with I would have the plugs changed and the throttle body cleaned, is that the best place to start?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

MB Star session..............

Also

Don't want to scare you................. so stop reading..................... but the last engine I had doing this, stalling when slowing or idling, was due to worn valve guides.

Customer spent over £1500 in catalytic convertors EGR valve O2 sensors, he didn't get a Star diagnosis done and wasted a lot of beer tokens.

:)

On a more helpful note:

Change the plugs clean the TBH
Also perhaps Change the:
Fuel filter
Oil & filter
Air filter

Good luck

:)

Last edited:
Is it when you on the brake specifically? I have had this on a w124 once and there was a leak on on the vacuum from the brake booster.

I have also had similar on a e230 w210 same engine as yours, ended up doing a fine adjustment of the idle control arm which is next to the throttle cable.

Thank you for your help.

Does a Star diagnosis have to be carried out a t a Mercedes dealer?

Clean the throttle body throat and butterfly plate edge with carefully with solvent. It usually the plate sticking. A misfire on one plug which is possible would be noticeable under acceleration as well as idle.

Thank you for your help.

Does a Star diagnosis have to be carried out a t a Mercedes dealer?

There are flash/blip codes available from the 16 pin diagnostic plug in
engine comparment.

It just needs a simple tool to read the fault codes; so really you just need
an Indie that is familiar with your generation Mercedes.

Perhaps someone on the forum knows of a suitable Indie in
your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom