w124 250TD vs E220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesJones

County Carlow, right on the border of County Wicko
Car
1982 Mercedes W123 230E Saloon, and a 1984 Porsche 911 Coupe.
Hi guys,

I am torn between two w124 estates I have just viewed - one is a 1990 250TD and one a 1994 E220 estate, both with about 170K miles on the clock. I was wondering if you have any thoughts or advice about which particular model would be the best to own? I know there will also be a lot of personal preference about this, but I am looking for which model would be likely to be the most reliable car, and the most economical in terms of maintainance as well as fuel costs.

Thanks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I am hoping to buy one of these beautiful cars before next weekend. I already have a w123 saloon but I just can't fit my blasted dog in the back along with my children (so I need an estate!).

Best regards,
Charles.

Are they manual or automatic Charles. Sometimes the diesel 250TDs are manual and this will get you more MPG than the 220 Auto. Though it will be dog slow compared to the 220TE.
My personal taste is always the diesel. I have had a 220TE and a lovely car it was too but for me its diesel all the way. They just plod on forever. If the glow plugs have recently been done on the diesel you will probably have cheaper running costs with it than the 220TE.
Both excellent cars and down to you personal choice now I would say.

Thanks for the advice John. Yes, the 250TD is indeed manual, whereas the 220 is auto. Its interesting what you say about the diesels plodding on forever. With that in mind do you think the 170K mileage is more a significant figure for the 220TE than the 250TD? Perhaps 170K is more cause for concern in the petrol car?

Buy the one with the soundest bodywork/underframe. This is likely to be the 1990 car --pre waterbased paint. On powertrain I would chose the 4 cylinder automatic petrol as the best driver's car. Both engines have a reputation for long life----if treated well. The diesel has the edge on longevity but get used to life in the slow lane if that's the path you chose. Perhaps the answer lies in the engine/gearbox combo in your present W123?

Thanks for the advice John. Yes, the 250TD is indeed manual, whereas the 220 is auto. Its interesting what you say about the diesels plodding on forever. With that in mind do you think the 170K mileage is more a significant figure for the 220TE than the 250TD? Perhaps 170K is more cause for concern in the petrol car?

My opinion - My 300TD has just turned over 222,222 miles and it holds the miles better than my 220TE did - that had similar milage and the wiring loom was just starting to "go" leading to also sorts of tickover probelms and surging engine revs at traffic lights and stationary situations, with the engine running.

With the 250 being a manual box you will be able to "drive it" much better through the gears, it will be more economical than the petrol. Also of course you will have less trouble driving in snow with a manual. Grober has excellent points too. All up for me, given the two cars - go for the diesel.
Less time to to go to for the diesel, to hit the 30 years mark for road tax gaining classic status in Ireland.

Which ever way you decide - enjoy.

Last edited:
go for the e300 diesel facelift if u want better response, or prefacelift if u want long long life and miles non of the loom and gearbox possible problems.

had both and they are hidden gems made by mercedes probably never to be repeated!!

I have a 1989 250TD manual, and a 1995 E300 auto -both 7 seater W124 estates, but the latter the face lift model. Both have done about 180,000 miles - I have had the 250TD for 13 years and the E300 for 6 years. Both are great cars;the 250TD is the better finished car with some cost cutting evident in the E300. The 250TD is very economical, and with winter tyres is great in wet, icy and snowy conditions. The E300 is the better drive being more powerful and automatic, but the 250TD is good enough. Both are very slow by todays standards, (especially the 250TD) but both are more satisfying and solid than any modern car I have used - including their modern equivalents. They cruise perfectly on motorways at 70, but are not too big for easy driving on smaller roads. Their modern equivalents are too wide, and although look and drive beautifully, feel flimsy in comparison with too much chromed, thin plastic in the interiors and thin metal and exposed low down lights and painted plastic fairings and bumpers on the outside that are too vulnerable to damage! The W124s are relatively simple, especially electronically, and most issues can be fixed relatively easily. Many people do not like the manual on the 250TD, but I find it positive and a great change from the auto - adding to the economy - especially on longer drives. Being diesels with low end torque, lots of gear changes in urban areas can get a bit tedious and here the auto wins. The E300 has water based paint, but both cars still look terrific - their metallic colours (smoke silver on one and Tourmaline green on the other) remain clear, unfaded and with a shiny clear coat. The cars wear well if looked after, and many owners hang onto such good ones because they are worth more to owners than the price they fetch. Rusting on front wheel arches just infront of wheels is not uncommon, but cosmetic and easy to put right. The youngest cars are now 15 years old, and so many of those for sale are old and worn. I second the recommendation that you want to look for a car which is sound underneath (sub frames, jacking points etc rust free), and look for one that has been well loved because one that has had a hard life will be tatty inside and out, and such neglect is probably not economical to put right, and will soon annoy! Most wear and tear mechanical issues can be put right economically. It is worth checking that the self levelling suspension spheres, engine mounts and ball joints/bushes have been replaced to ensure a smooth ride.

Thank you all very much for your responses. It really is great to be able to get advice from people who actually own or have had experience with the cars - it means I am getting first hand knowledge, which is invaluable.

After reading the responses on this thread, and having trawled many more threads on the forum about the two models, I have decided to go for the 250TD. The E220 is an absolutely lovely car, but for reasons of economy, longevity and ease of maintenance I have decided to plump for the diesel. Also, I just loved something to do with the sound of that 5 cylinder diesel engine, although I'm not quite sure what exactly!

MB250TD, thanks very much for your insights about owing a 250TD and a later model mercedes - that was very helpful, and really helped me match the 250TD to my requirements.

John, you make an excellent point about the 30 year mark for gaining classic status in Ireland. At the moment the road tax on a 2.5 litre car is 925 euro a year! Once it hits 30 years old it goes down to 48 euro. Unfortunately though there is a danger that the government might freeze that 30 year mark at 1981 - they're desperately trying to screw money out of the Irish tax payer in any way possible at the moment!

I have already been in touch with the seller this evening and we have agreed a price, so this coming week I should become a proud owner of a 250TD!

let throw another spanner in the works w123 240 td with 75k miles is avail in london with manual gearbox was recently advertised for less than 1k, same/similar engine being bullet proof and gives lower taxation now, they are even rarer and more classical.

when u look at the e 220 i have certainly not seen one over 250k hence present mileage 2/3 of the way with diesels the engine should last 300k maybe even 500k ie 1/4 to 1/2 way.

with 48 euro tax maybe u need consider best of breed w123 240 td also with its chrome look or even 300 td w123 also.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mercedes-300td-/250761541394?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a628d7712

another factor consider when people look at older merceded pre 1996 the insurance element of classic agreed value which really halves the insurance costs and driving a car IMHO better buy as even when used and sold in years to come with almost zero depressision if u haggle well!!

Last edited:
I think that is the right decision Charles. I wish you many happy miles motoring in your new to you diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom