W124 260E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Not really my sort of thing, so I don’t know what they go for, but this looks like a pretty clean example. Used, but not overly used, these things take the miles well I believe so at c. 100K it should be nicely run in. Look after it, and there should be years left in it..

Cheers,

Gaz

That’s a nice looking car, and appears to be sorted, a decent 6 cylinder 124 is becoming very rare

This is the least desirable 6 cylinder 124 though, not a coupe or estate, 260 not 300, no leather, beggars can’t be choosers mind

There is actually a review of this very car on the Youtube channel Furious driving...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s a lovely thing, isn’t it? I love the 124 saloon. Would happily have that as my daily driver! Probably a bit too nice to daily, but it is lovely. No idea on price. £6k seems reasonable if it’s in fine (rust free) fettle and no wiring loom issues.

That's a rather nice old bus. Interesting collection of time-warp vehicles on that website.

I agree that does look nice. Any idea where I can hide it from the wife????

There is actually a review of this very car on the Youtube channel Furious driving...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Quite enjoy his content on Youtube, not only that I recognise the roads he drives the vehicles on as they're local to me.

Quite enjoy his content on Youtube, not only that I recognise the roads he drives the vehicles on as they're local to me.
Same here. He tests a lot of cars from this dealer for some reason. He drove a real timewarp Peugeot 505 estate recently - very nice.

That’s a lovely thing, isn’t it? I love the 124 saloon. Would happily have that as my daily driver! Probably a bit too nice to daily, but it is lovely. No idea on price. £6k seems reasonable if it’s in fine (rust free) fettle and no wiring loom issues.

No wiring loom issues on this particular car which is good. Wiring loom problems were from 93-96 (approx).

The M103 is a great reliable & simple engine, shame it's not the 300 but nevertheless a lovely example for sensible money.

All i can say to anyone looking to buy one of these W124 is that ,,so many items will need changing, and replacing, some parts are no longer available new . Dont forget most of these are over 31 years old .Replacment to name a few - of brake discs, pads ,, silencers ,tyres water pump fuel pumps, and relays all the HT system . You need to buy a car from a club member thats done all this hard work for you. Who can show you the history, and proof in the bills paid out for the work done . And all you will need to do then, is maintain it . Mine had only done 89.000 when i had it . And to-day, i know i would be upset, if i sat down and worked out just how much i have spent on it up to date. But thats how it is with old cars of any make not only Mercedes . - I might stop some day ,,we will see.

All i can say to anyone looking to buy one of these W124 is that ,,so many items will need changing, and replacing, some parts are no longer available new . Dont forget most of these are over 31 years old .Replacment to name a few - of brake discs, pads ,, silencers ,tyres water pump fuel pumps, and relays all the HT system . You need to buy a car from a club member thats done all this hard work for you. Who can show you the history, and proof in the bills paid out for the work done . And all you will need to do then, is maintain it . Mine had only done 89.000 when i had it . And to-day, i know i would be upset, if i sat down and worked out just how much i have spent on it up to date. But thats how it is with old cars of any make not only Mercedes . - I might stop some day ,,we will see.
That’s a valid reality check for all us dreamers! When I think about it my 13 year old CLK requires a fair amount of age related maintenance at 57k miles. So a 28 year old E class is going to have continued spend, as you say. Nice though!!

That was mine. I bought it unseen at auction where they said 'as close to immaculate as you can expect at this age' or some such guff. Well, guess what - 2 repaired crusty wings and a repaired door skin sorted most of the rust along with a resprayed bonnet to remedy the laquer disappearing and we were nearly correct. The mileage was also not as stated. IIRC it's done around 107,000 - the auctioneer failed to spot a speedo change at 7 or 8 thousand miles.

To be fair to the car it is nice. Had I kept it I would have needed to oil change the gearbox to improve reluctance to kickdown (hopefully), damn good service, restuff front seats where cushioning has deteriorated, replace tyres as they are mismatched. One great thing was though that the AC did not work. I had it regassed and HEY PRESTO, it worked perfectly!

Its a nice old bus but still wants some money spent as optimusprime mentioned. I palmed it off to trade as I was not comfy with those bits above that needed doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom