W124 300 Diesel estate....worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roderick Plinge

Car
420SE and 260E
Morning all, a long time since my last post and the scrapping of my beloved but bedraggled 420se!
Since then I've purchased a 1990 W124 260e saloon in black with only one owner and 50k on the clock, and a 190 1.8 manual in white with only 98k on the clock.
I'm now purchasing a 1992 300 diesel estate with 161k and, more importantly no MoT, tax, V5 or service history! I know, I know! I shouldn't but for £450 it's worth a punt, no? The car is structurally and mechanically sound with virtually no rust whatsoever and after being stood for about eighteen months starts and drives with no issues. The interior is very good indeed, grey leather, with very few signs of wear.
How can I load up some pics for you? Can anyone please advise? I will be taking the car for MoT next week so I will let you know how I get on!

Well I collected my E300 diesel yesterday and took it straight for an MoT. Everything was going swimmingly well with perfect emissions and not even a single advisory when the tester reached the rear subframe with an "oh f***!". The front mounts had rotted and become detached from the chassis. A common problem with this model, I have since found out! Bill will be around £250-300 to repair the rot but that still makes a cheap W124 estate with no further mechanical or rust issues. The car has been well maintained with all new discs, pads, front wings etc, and the engine and gearbox are sweet. So all in all it will have cost me about £750. Still a bargain I say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom