W124 300 Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanisMajoris

Car
W140 S600
Hello all,

I'm a proud owner for a 2007 W211 E320 CDI and happy with the performance and drive etc.

I'm in the market for a W124 and have recently come across a 1994 E300 Diesel with 255,000 miles on the clock. I have not yet viewed the vehicle in person but I have offered to owner £1,400 due to it being a rather high mileage vehicle (I know these engines can go up to 500k with good looking after). The seller initially told me to have a good day and stop wasting his time, now I've been messaged saying that he can do £1,600 lowest.

I do not wish to waste my time nor the seller by viewing the vehicle and not purchasing it. The bodywork has some rust above the tyre panels and the car has loads of history (supposedly).

Would anyone offer their opinion if £1,600 is worth it or should I stand my ground and say most I can offer is £1,400?

Is there anything else I should consider or should I just walk away from this potential deal?

CM

If you haven't viewed the car, how do you know what it is worth?

Condition is everything with an old car so may be best to see the car in person so you can work that out for yourself.

The mileage is pretty much irrelevant with a 26 year old car, just make sure it starts well from cold and does not smoke heavily. Check the blow by. Check for diesel leaks under the bonnet. Check for oil & water mixing in cooling system. The normal 2nd hand car checks.

You mention rusty wheelarches but have you checked the MOT history online for structural rust in the past, buy based on this and of course physically looking at the car.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 219
If you haven't viewed the car, how do you know what it is worth?

I have viewed pictures, though they don't really tell everything until you inspect the vehicle in person.

Condition is everything with an old car so may be best to see the car in person so you can work that out for yourself.

The mileage is pretty much irrelevant with a 26 year old car, just make sure it starts well from cold and does not smoke heavily. Check the blow by. Check for diesel leaks under the bonnet. Check for oil & water mixing in cooling system. The normal 2nd hand car checks.

You mention rusty wheelarches but have you checked the MOT history online for structural rust in the past, buy based on this and of course physically looking at the car.

Best of luck.

With regards to the MOT history, the following advisories are from this year's MOT test
both headlights dim

Rear Exhaust mounting defective (6.1.2 (a))

Offside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))

Rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated both (1.1.12 (b) (ii))

Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

These appear rather expensive to replace and I suspect that there may be more trouble. Given this information, would £1,600 be more than what the car is currently worth and should I attempt to lower to my initial offer?

Would anyone offer their opinion if £1,600 is worth it or should I stand my ground and say most I can offer is £1,400?

In the grand scheme of things what's £200? if he shows up with a full tank, i think that you'll be close enough.

I have viewed pictures, though they don't really tell everything until you inspect the vehicle in person.

With regards to the MOT history, the following advisories are from this year's MOT test
both headlights dim

Rear Exhaust mounting defective (6.1.2 (a))

Offside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))

Rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated both (1.1.12 (b) (ii))

Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

These appear rather expensive to replace and I suspect that there may be more trouble. Given this information, would £1,600 be more than what the car is currently worth and should I attempt to lower to my initial offer?
Everything is expensive to replace on a Mercedes, no way around that little problem i am afraid.

If that is all the advisories for a 26 year old car then that is not bad at all.

You do however really need to see the car in person to make any decisions. Personally if it was me selling a car i would not offer any discounts or even talk about price unless you were viewing the car.

He may be coming back to you because he hasn’t sold it yet .

you should go and look , rotten front wings are commonplace and easy to change , rear arches would need repaired if rusty , check front inner wings , rear jacking points and rear subframe Front mounts , also look at brake pipes and fuel lines around the rear end . If estate , check the SLS pipes and open the storage compartments either side of the load bay and feel up below the side windows for rust .

250000 miles is just run in ; I had a petrol one on double that mileage , and a million isn’t unheard of .

once you’ve viewed the car , if anything isn’t up to scratch , a bit of negotiation might be in order , and I’d suggest meeting in the middle at £1500 could be a win for both of you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom