W124 300CE - 4 speed auto box question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heckler

Car
Merc 300CE, Merc 200 T, Mini Cooper S & Wolseley Hornet
I have a 300 CE W124 (12V), with auto 4 speed box. It runs perfectly, but i must say i am surprised that the revs at speed are soooooo high, over 5,000rpm at 80 ish mph. The car is new to me, has been regularly serviced from new and seems to be fine. In sports mode you can hear the 3 changes, although in E mode, only 2 changes can be heard, but it starts in second (yes??).

Someone mentioned a change up relay, but i am just not sure it isn;t just runnig fast.... it idles at 750 rpm.

It does change up deep in the red zone when floored in sports mode - c7,000 rpm.

Any ideas?? Have i got a problem, or is this normal??

Hi,

I've got a 1993 E280 with a 4 speed auto......at 80-85mph i'm doing 3500 revs.

Yours does sounds a bit suspect.....I imagine that it must be drinking the fuel like crazy

Vlad

erm ....

err ......

Hypothetically ....

On my 93 E280 If I was ever to drive at 99 mph on the motorway I would expect my revs to sit at just above 4000.

Hypothetically of course ....

However I do know for a fact that the idles varies. When I'm stopped, in Drive, and foot on brake it idles at about 750-800ish. If I stick it into neutral it idles at about 500-600ish.

K

Really silly and obvious question: Have you counted the upchanges? i.e. Are you really in 4th gear?

See the long discussion on Engine revs and speed.

3000 rpm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom