W124 300CE - Ball Joints & Link Pipe, How Much?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Afternoon all, the next think on the list is to change the ball joints and link pipe as shown as number 92 in the attached picture. Do you chaps have any idea how much this part is at all (from both Merc & alternative supplier)?!

Attachments

• IMAG0483 (1).jpg
    IMAG0483 (1).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 81
Its known as a " drag link" its about £50 from MERC and less from ECP/GSF If you go for a pattern part get LEMFORDER. [OEM to merc]

Top man, thanks again Graeme (and no need to apologise mate!). I'll provide some pics and details of the process once they've been changed. I'm hoping to get these done before the cold really sets in!

I do have a slight "knock" from the front end of my 124 300D 24v saloon when the centre of gravity switches. Say from rest to engaging reverse there is a knock from the front lower end as I take up the drive. Just about everything has been changed down there apart from the drag link. Drag link what a fantastic name. Does yours have the same issue 300CE?

Hi John, i get a slight rattle every now and again when i'm going under uneven road & the mot tester showed me there was slight play in the ball joint (but luckily didn't put it down as an advisory). If you get a knock/clonk when engaging gears it could be you propshaft coupling - i had a clonk when i first bought the car and my mate changed it for me and it resolved the problem (i've attached a link to the thread i posted up for you). Might be worth getting Ian to have a look at it for you:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/90411-w124-propshaft-coupling-part-number.html

Front and rear doughnuts all changed. Diff mounting bushes changed. Suspension tops changed. Springs trickeryboo. Engine mounts are good. ARB bushes done. Steering cross shaft changed. MoT just passed with no advisories:bannana: All down to Ian and his team:thumb:

Ian was driving the car on Friday and commented on the steering being a bit heavy and he heard the knock. So its ball joints or drag link for me next. With SWMBO watching X Factor and then Downton - I was just fishing a bit on here.

CHEERS

Allparts got me a draglink and steering damper, made by blistein so good quaulity too. I'll let you know how much it was tomorrow. :thumb:

Front and rear doughnuts all changed. Diff mounting bushes changed. Suspension tops changed. Springs trickeryboo. Engine mounts are good. ARB bushes done. Steering cross shaft changed. MoT just passed with no advisories:bannana: All down to Ian and his team:thumb:

Ian was driving the car on Friday and commented on the steering being a bit heavy and he heard the knock. So its ball joints or drag link for me next. With SWMBO watching X Factor and then Downton - I was just fishing a bit on here.

CHEERS

Let us know how you get on and how much you find it for John. I'll post up here once it's done - i'm hoping to get it done in the next month or so.

Yep, i've got the missus watching xfactor on sky+ - time to go on the PC :thumb:

A good way to test for ball joint play on the track rod ends + drag link = 6 ball joints in all --- is to use the human hand mark one . Get an assistant to rock the steering wheel gently from side to side [ engine running] while you "cup/hold " each ball joint in the palm of your hand- you will feel any discernible play quite easily. WARNING You need to have an assistant who knows what they are doing-- all you want is to "load " the steering mechanism in either direction so very little movement is required-- excessive movement runs the risk of trapping your hand in the steering mechanism and doing yourself considerable damage.

ps the other potential source of "clonks" in that type of steering is the steering idler arm [ it serves as the mirror image of the steering box if you like ] bearing which you can just see a part of [14] in the diagram above. Mercedes supply a repair kit- normally however a fault idler arm results in stiff steering.

[next. With SWMBO watching X Factor and then Downton - I was just fishing a bit on here.

CHEERS[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it! :wallbash:

Thanks again Graeme, that print out was given to me by the parts chap at Mercedes and can confirm that the steering idler arm bearing is £38.00 (for the CE).

When i took the car for it's MOT, the tester had what was like hydraulic plates on the ramp which the front wheels went on and which simulated bumpy ground when he pushed a button (i'd never seen this before!) All clever stuff, and this is where he picked up the play in the bearing.

Just a quick update to this post - centre drag link fitted today (bought from ECP for a bargain £12.50). Also bought a steering idler arm kit from Mercedes (£48.00 inc vat) which was also done. It never ceases to amaze my mate as to how nice and simple the car is to work on and is always singing it's praises - took about an hour and a half from start to finish. Even managed to sneak in a pair of 13cm speakers in the rears!!

Next on the list is the damper!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom