W124 300ce Duchatelet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard300

Car
CLK230Kompressor (factory AMG sport pack) & Jaguar XJ8 (X308)
Since visiting MB World a few weeks ago, i have been wanting to own a Mercedes again.

At first i thought about something more modern to use as a daily. But more recently i have thought about getting something more retro (and i am a lover of 80's cars) to use fairly regularly but really as more of a second car...

As a second car, my budget is not massive - maybe 4k tops. I thought about stretching it slighlty and buying an early R129 SL but i just cant make it work with having a 4yo and a 2yo (with just the lap belts).

A nice 190e 2.3/2.5-16 is out of budget and i cant find a W126 S-class that doesn't need to much work.

But I have owned 2x W124's in the past, both were saloons and i always fancied a Coupe.

So i was quite happy to spot a nice, well priced (i think) 1989 300ce For sale recently, a bit of correspondence via e-mail and phone leads me to believe its worth a look and so tomorrow afternoon i am off to view it.

The bast thing is (well i think so anyway :) that its a 'Carat by Duchatelet' car. I had an Almadine one of these (see my signature) a couple of years ago, and i love the whole 80's-ness of them.
This one is a little more subtle than my last one as its in BlueBlack metalic but it still has the extended veneers, cream steering wheel and hand painted cream instrument dials, as well as all the Duchatelet exterior addenda and wheels. And amber indicators!!

So, hopefully i can update this thread tomorrow night with good news of a purchase.

I considered that very car (well, I'm almost sure it's the same one). Looks nice & well cared I reckon , good advert too. The only reason I'd go after it was simply I've already got one 80's Merc. The clocks & steering wheel didn't appeal but, that's me being picky.

Odd's on once you see & drive it I'd be a bit surprised if you don't buy it. Wishing you well on the potential purchase.

JJJ.

Hi JJJ.... I did buy the car (well, i left a deposit and collect on Saturday).
I am sure the pictures (taken from the advert) below, will confirm if its the same car or not.

The retired gentleman i dealt with, whose wife had owned the car since 1996 was a pleasure to deal with and a trawl through all the invoices quickly highlighted that they have never skimped on maintenance both mechanical and bodywork.

There were no advisories on the last MOT (Sepember last year, and the car has only covered about 40 miles since.

There are lots of little things that not necessarily need doing, but i will address - I really want get the car looking thoroughly spot on.

Pics :

T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m970BRRM7mbN-Q60_12_zps0987c656.jpg

T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTo9BRRM7UWiw60_12_zpsdc88b895.jpg

T2eC16dHJIE9qSO9wjBRRM78dUsQ60_12_zps0c1b8320.jpg

T2eC16JHJIIE9qTYI5T8BRRM8SjWcQ60_12_zps69c38232.jpg

T2eC16hHJIQE9qUHuz4SBRRM85d78Q60_12_zps3470db76.jpg

T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOO2BRRM8nzvz60_12_zpsefa96833.jpg

T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVneBRRM7GmEu60_12_zps522eece7.jpg

T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRoprBRRM98VOkg60_12_zpsfe226c14.jpg

T2eC16ZHJGwE9nyUZlnBRRM9PIqdg60_12_zpsd59cc0ae.jpg

Hi, Richard. Yep, that's the one alright. I guessed it would be a good alright - looks even better since you've purchased it! :D

So, all you've got to do now is dump the clock faces, st.wheel & g/knob!

Enjoy & keep us all posted.

So, all you've got to do now is dump the clock faces, st.wheel & g/knob!

Noooooooo..... They are all genuine Duchatelet items (The dials are hand painted) The steering wheel will be re-dyed when the seats receive a little attention from my local smart repairer.

I do need to start searching German E-Bay for a genuine 'Carat by Duchatelet' bootlid badge and the Duchatelet fine wood trims have started to go a bit milky - not sure if there is any cost efficient way of sorting this?

Nice car and lovely interior, congrats!

Congrats,
I have a matching spare alloy if your interested pm me.

I had my eye on that car!

Only thing that stopped me having a look was the 190 needing a bit of tlc. Glad its gone to an enthusiast though. Tbh I couldn't live with the dials or wheel but would stick them in a box rather than get rid. Good luck with it!

Hey, Richard. Just FYI I've just noticed the CE is still showing up my eBay 'watch list'.

Beautiful example I'm envious. Great combo of Colour Exterior and Interior
I always worry about Head gaskets etc at that age unless its been done . Is it a real concern or am i just a worrier?

Beautiful example I'm envious. Great combo of Colour Exterior and Interior
I always worry about Head gaskets etc at that age unless its been done . Is it a real concern or am i just a worrier?

You're a worrier!

HG cost me £350 on my 190e a few years back, less than a cambelt change on most modern cars. The signs are easy to spot (oil in the coolant, sludge under the oil cap) and its really not that big a job.
I've been told the cause is not replacing the coolant as the corrosion protection breaks down over time.

thats a good price my 220te cost me about £600 5yrs ago and I thought that was cheap:D

Dear Richard,

You have a very nice car and I wish you welcome in the world founded by Duchatelet.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I am also the owner of a A124 convertible modified by him in Belgium

So, good luck and be careful with your lovely car !

Serge, ..... from France ( I hope that I did no mistakes ??? )

:doh::doh::doh:

Oh my goodness, we will need pictures of this please... :)

lovely car mate. i actually have the boot badge laying about some where if your interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom