w124 300ce featured in practicalclassic mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26392

Pc arrived today. Good to see the 300ce getting a mention at last!

ForumRunner_20121220_203232.jpg

that's it then !

demand will outstrip supply next year.

doubling prices on anything decent.

Do you know that the old 1960's 190SL 2 seater are now touching £70k.

These cars were fairly mediocre and had nil performance (a proper girly
car) (not to be confiused with the 1950's 300SL which are now touching
half £million).

So the 1980's/1990's CE coupe range (which had NIL bad points in various road tests remember) will surely rocket.

At the present time the financial situation, with nil return on invested savings,
is driving some money towards these types of investment cars, as they can be sold on again at a profit with nil Capital Gains Tax (CGT) liability, which is attractive to persons with some spare money.

Ill hang on to mine too.

It needs work but as a 1991 24v Coupe with a mere 115K miles in half decent nick it should be worth a bob or two.

What does everyone think are the best options to have on a 300ce making it desirable and subsequently what are the rarest options?

Scott

To me leather and aircon are essential. Other than that its condition and history that matter. Rarest options? Possibly electric rear window blind or snow chain switch on UK cars.

The loom on my 1991 24v 300CE is holding up well. Is it just a matter of time then?

No problemo on a 300CE. Its the later 320/220's which have the bio looms.

Would love a nice one of these.

Last edited:
Maybe I am sat on a decent return then :D.
1995 24 valve diesel estate - zero rust.
1990 E300-24, minimal rust (one wing with slight bubble)
1991 CE300-24, zero rust

Of the three above Ian, which is your favourite and why?

Of the three above Ian, which is your favourite and why?
I guess the Coupe is my favourite, it just has that presence about it, however the saloon is a hoot to drive,, goes really well :D if you know what I mean. Has traction control and all the goodies, but only does about 20 to the gallon. The Estate is my daily drive due to work necessities plus it does more mpg than the others.

What do we think is the most desirable colour followed with whats the rarest colour?!

Im trying to establish how much run of the mill my own one is!

Scott

What do we think is the most desirable colour followed with whats the rarest colour?!

Im trying to establish how much run of the mill my own one is!

Scott

This will be based on induvidual tastes....

I'll be a little biased and say Azurite blue with mushroom leather for desirable :) Azurite blue is common along with the blue/black colour which is code 199?

I'm pretty sure 040 black is quite rare on coupes, i havn't seen many 'proper' black ones around. That would be my ultimate colour choice with mushroom.

Another rare colour could be bournite maybe?

Impala brown is my favourite w124 colour, followed by Malachite Green and Tourmaline Green. The non metallic dark blue also looks the business on a w124. Other countries seemed to get much more interesting colour options compared to the UK. I'm also a fan of the seldom seen leather interior colours such as Java, Brazil Brown, Green and Mittel Rot (was there more than 1 shade of red leather?).

re options, heated electric seats are a must for me. Orthopaedic/multi contour seats are desireable imho as is the 5 sp auto, memory seats, premium sound option (Factory subs in the front doors with seperate amp), puddle lights in the doors and illuminated vanity mirrors in the front.

Options described in the manual I've never seen on UK cars are the webasto parking heater and the seperate heater for the cargo area on 7 seat estates.

I think the most desirable colour would be powder blue. Red is a no no as it fades, black is hard to keep clean, silver is boring, gold is interesting, Green is unlucky, royal blue is similar to black, aubergine is nice, blue/black has its faults and yellow is for hair dressers.

The hardest colour to find is the purplie/blue/black. Looks stunning in sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom