W124 300D - Driving with U/S Glow Plug(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gawdi

Car
300D
Not that technical a person. Got at least 1 glow plug out, but car starts OK - well in colder weather it bangs a bit and puts out a little smoke for a few seconds, then runs as smoothly as ever...... warm starts are no problem, its just like normal..

I have spoken to my local independant who has given me a price of £250 - £350 to replace them all, the difference being they can sheer when removing the old ones and be a bit of a sod to get out...

Money is tight, but if push came to shove I'd get the job done by them.. But my question to the more knowledgeable forum members is - is it absolutely neccessary to replace them? Is any long term damage being done by me starting the car with 1 or more out?

the only real issue you'll have with leaving it is that the plug will get more and more difficult to remove with time. so yes, u can just leave it, atleast for the short term..... as once one goes the others WILL follow quickly. once you get to only 3 working then you will struggle to start on cold mornings without flattening the battery... be warned. i was caught out this winter when i left 2 dead ones - everything was fine until the 3rd went.... running with hardly any may well damage stuff i dont know but if you get to that point, the car wont start anyway....

£300 is expensive i reckon. I do this job myself and takes me about 1 hour. most of that time is messing around with the odd couple of glows that are a bit stiff to remove and fiddling with getting the crossover pipe back on etc. if a plug does break then its an expensive hassle, yes, but if the job goes well then it should be much less than that IMHO, especially if done by a pro garage who should know exactly what they are doing and therefore it wont take long. get a few more quotes. saying that if they are guranteeing removing any broken plugs for £350 then it may be a bargain....!

you may be able to replace just the 1 dead plug without removing anything if you are lucky. this can be checked using a multimeter at the relay end.

are you interested in doing it yourself DIY? if so, there is a good how to on here. let us know and we will link u to it.

the plugs are about £8 each, or there was a good ebay seller recently selling them for £25 for 6. bargain - i got 12.

Last edited:
you may be able to replace just the 1 dead plug without removing anything if you are lucky. this can be checked using a multimeter at the relay end.

are you interested in doing it yourself DIY? if so, there is a good how to on here. let us know and we will link u to it.

Many thanks SilverSaloon... if you could give me the link I'd be most grateful..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom