W124 300d glow plug related??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krimat2005

Car
Mercedes W124 300D/ S203 220cdi
Hi everyone, my problem is that sometimes glow plug light comes on when it shouldn't. before starting the engine it goes on and off as it should, but after starting sometimes it's on right away, or after some time ( like anything between 5-20min ) or is not coming on at all sometimes. well first thought glow plugs ( changed about 1 year ago) so checked them and they all pretty much at 1,3-1,5 Ohms, so they're ok. then i remembered i was playing with my temp sensor ( one with 2 pins in the head ) and I know that one of those pins goes to temp guage on dash ( it's showing ok about 85-90 after warm up) the other pin goes to glow plug relay and it's responsible for "afterglow" ( I presume if it's not good it might mess up and light is comming on when it not supoused to). so do you guys think I have a bad temp sensor? or is it glow plug relay? how do i check for both??

Check the glow-plugs again as they may be faulty under load.

Check the condition of the engine wiring loom - particularly near the temperature sensor towards the rear of the head (under the manifold).

Take them out and connect to the battery.

Answers are Above

Even if the "Afterglow" function is in operation,the Dash "PreGlow" bulb WILL NOT Illuminate.

There's a neat Modification to allow you to Know If the "AfterGlow" is in operation:
W124/OM603 Afterglow DIY - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Read on Down in the Post...Jeremy uses an "Empty" hole in the I.C. to plug in
a Bulb that Lights up whenever the Glow Plugs are in Operation.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 10 02.29.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 10 02.29.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom