W124 300d OM606 issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Right, having replaced all but one of my glowplugs and reconnected them I still find no glowplug light in the instrument cluster and absolutely no sign of starting.

First things first - where is the glow plug relay so I can check the resistances of the glowplugs?

Found it, but am leaving the testing 'til tomorrow when hopefully my dodgy battery will have more than enough juice in it to provide a robust benchmark for checking.

Same symptoms as my S123 had.
With nowt to lose, I re-flowed all the joints on the module's board. Bingo!

00022245103255.jpg

00022316603255.jpg

[YOUTUBE]v6qf_QK9acY[/YOUTUBE]

Pleasingly, charging the battery has got the thing started, still rough after start up and no glowplug relay light, so more investigations to be done. However, having a car start after work done by me is always a miracle, so it's a few steps forward.

Last edited:
Intriguing. Multimeter showing .7 ohms on all bar 5 (not a surprise as that is sheared off) and 3, which was replaced. Cleaning 3 furiously produced a .7 ohm result, starting smoother, but still no glow plug relay light - I asssume it stays off if any glow plug is out?

First example of a wiring loom degrading on an OM606? Not a happy picture for the wiring coming out of the glow plug relay plug. The resistance on 3 is intermittent, looks in need of a clean, but must first find my cotton buds.

glowplug%20relay_zpsl9bqjjqi.jpg

Your wiring loom is fecked, isn't that affecting it?

Almost certainly!

POST 1990 W124 PREGLOW SYSTEM. may differe slightly in detail but principles and pin assignments likely the same??

Last edited:
Firing up beautifully now, no glow plug relay light but way better than before I changed the plugs. I think the seized plug would benefit from removal and that loom is going to be re-done, it's a simple enough thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom