W124 300d tappet rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi Folks

Can anyone help wifes tappets are rattling:D on tickover intermittently i changed one tappet but the problem is still there but maybe not as bad . Castrol magnetec in sump approx 2000mls ago, does this oil suit this engine someone told me to put an additive in the oil. Should i change all 12 tappets ( £20 ea) or change to different oil Help please

Brian
C230K
190E
300TD

Last edited:
Hi Brian, i have tappet rattle on my 200te, had an engine flush and put in some Wynns which stopped it (for a while) but its back now, only sometimes and only when i start in the mornings when the engine is cold, it happened this morning, quite loud, i then switched off and restarted and it was gone so at the moment i don't know unless we put in full sets of new ones,iv'e also heard that the timing chain tensioner can make the same noise, so again i am at a loss as what to do , not much help i know but just sharing thoughts. Rob

rattle

Hi
Regarding that rattle .. what did you do?
Mine is rattling below 1500rpm.I changed the timing chain tensioner to no avail.. so it sounds like i need tappets.

I had the same on my 300d...rattled and then cleared once past 1500rpm.

Took it to my Indi and asked whether I should be concerned and he said, not unless you want to be......he then went on to say that they all rattle when they get to a certain age/mileage and that it really is nothing to worry about as its more of a nuisance than anything serious. He mentioned that to get rid of the rattle all hydraulic lifters would have to be replaced as you can't tell which one is faulty and that if you have the head in bits its worth doing them all.

Told me to come back only when they wouldn't stop tapping past 1500rpm....as it happened they never got any worse, and I've subsequently had another 300D and it was exactly the same.

Wynns hydraulic tappet additive helped, but I just got used to it and judged it to be part of the character of the car.

Hi

This is an old one, yes problem cured, changed all 12 tappets and she was super silent then and still is.
My advice is if your fussy change them i think from memory that the performance increased very slightly.
Not a big job to do them, cant remember how long it took but worth doing if you are going to keep her running as i have.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom