w124 300e 1991 cutting out abs light on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Car
W124 300 E // W211 320 cdi
hi guys

i bought a lovely 300e w124 few months ago, all of sudden the abs light comes and goes, and yesterday she cut out when coming to a stop at the lights, the following day tried to start it did turn over but within a second she would cut out, left it for a few days and shes back to normal but abs light is still on, i have done a search and it seems it could be a number of things, i would like to hear from anyone who has had the same or similar issue with one of these models so i do not end up changing parts for no reason.

many thanks

It's very likely that the OVP (over voltage protection ) Relay is causing those problems. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info on the subject.

Another vote for the OVP

many thanks for the quick reply, i did see that when i was looking up for possible fixes, not many of these on ebay and all are used, anyone wouldn't happen to know what the MB dealers will supply one for? if its under a £100 i may try that

Pull it and check the number Del.

201 540 08 45 there's an old one here that's worth a try.

many thanks lads, greatly appreciate the help in this matter, cos i know it can drive you mad at times, im trying to best to stay cool and hope its something simple, however the ovp looks brand new part is is roughly will post up the number shortly, its the one with two fuse slots and no signs of anything the pins are all shiny i have sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the plug however before doing that she started up fine and no abs light, its a mystery, cos if the ovp relay was knackered surely the abs light would still be on and or she would cut out or run like rough

the ovp part on the car is 201 540 37 45
red top with two 10amp fuses, its a different number from Druk's, folks does that mean its a non original? part? from looking at it the unit it seems to be in good condition

No, it's just a different part #.

Change the 2 fuses in the top & see if that solves your problem.

fuses seem fine, but will replace them and check the other parts mentioned above, thanks guys

If you're handy with a soldering iron , you can open it up and resolder the circuit board , sometimes the problem is just dry solder joints and this will fix it at a cost to you of 10 or 15 minutes of your time .

If it doesn't work then you're back to buying a replacement .

Great work lads, it was the OVP i got a new one from MB for around £58, shes back to normal now. Just need to sort the sound system and I am set :)

hi guys

i bought a lovely 300e w124 few months ago, all of sudden the abs light comes and goes, and yesterday she cut out when coming to a stop at the lights, the following day tried to start it did turn over but within a second she would cut out, left it for a few days and shes back to normal but abs light is still on, i have done a search and it seems it could be a number of things, i would like to hear from anyone who has had the same or similar issue with one of these models so i do not end up changing parts for no reason.

many thanks
Delb0y i told you about going up the lader when you had the W124 .You should have stuck with the plastic pig . lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom