w124 300e diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bod

This is the third time i've written this, but the first time i've manage not to reply to myself. Mmmm - definitely need to improve my forum-using skills (much harder than getting the hang of the e-class estate). Anyway, to all those who responded - thanks so much for the invaluable advice. I'm off to buy a lotto ticket as i've found a w124 300e diesel estate (neither blue, nor silver). Would any of you wise people be bothered by a 17,000 gap in the service history (from 127,000 to 143,000). It has done 144,000 miles and is ten years old. Am going to look at it asap, but don't want to get carried away by its apparent rarity value (specially since i am a merc virgin and really don't know what to look for.)

bod said:
This is the third time i've written this, but the first time i've manage not to reply to myself. Mmmm - definitely need to improve my forum-using skills (much harder than getting the hang of the e-class estate). Anyway, to all those who responded - thanks so much for the invaluable advice. I'm off to buy a lotto ticket as i've found a w124 300e diesel estate (neither blue, nor silver). Would any of you wise people be bothered by a 17,000 gap in the service history (from 127,000 to 143,000). It has done 144,000 miles and is ten years old. Am going to look at it asap, but don't want to get carried away by its apparent rarity value (specially since i am a merc virgin and really don't know what to look for.)

Hi

I am not a diesel expert!! :D

Like all these things - context is important. Sure there is a 17K gap in the history and that is a negative but it is also your negotiating card/lever. ;)

The context is the age of the car, the condition of the steelwork and paintwork, the extent of the documented service history (bills?) and particularly what has been done since the period of neglect. The state of the interior is very important too as is the correct functioning of the gizmos particularly window lifters and sunroof (if fitted). Aircon if fitted is an expensive repair item and the evaporators in particular are not renowned for long life - major interior strip required for access. This is not meant to put you off - just building a picture of 'context' ;)

If unsure I would factor in a service that included the auto transmission (oil and filter change), coolant side flush and change, engine oil and filter and possibly diff oil change. Then at least you know where you stand - if you can do these yourself so much the better otherwise a recommended indy would be best way ahead. The cost of this work is a negotiating lever.

The mileage (if genuine) indicates that while the car is 10 years old, it is a mere youth in Merc diesel terms.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

NormanB

A 17,000 mile gap in the records doesn't mean it's not been serviced, or at least had the oil changed.

As Norman said general condition is far more important than service stamps. Look for rust in front of the front wheelarches and give the car a GOOD testing...then buy it.

A reasonable 124 diesel will go for a long time.

thanks for the advice. Went to look at it yesterday - there's crack in the rear bumper, and a couple of bits of bubbling paintwork around the rear windows, and the interior's a bit shabby. None of this bothers me too much as it drove very well, and all the gizmos were working. However, I suspect the man standing with his chequebook when I returned may have pipped me at the post. It's the first one I've looked at and the garage owner seemed to think i was very knowledgable about the car - all thanks to you guys! If it hasn't sold at £5000 by saturday, i'll be back to get it. If it has - well a lesson learned and I'll definitely hold out for a 300d in the future.

Having seen a couple more now - i have decided that the first one was very neglected indeed, and i happened to speak to someone who's an enthusiast who'd seen that car before me. Interestingly enough, the air con wasn't working when he saw it (it was when i saw it) - he said it must have been gassed. What does this mean??

bod said:
Having seen a couple more now - i have decided that the first one was very neglected indeed, and i happened to speak to someone who's an enthusiast who'd seen that car before me. Interestingly enough, the air con wasn't working when he saw it (it was when i saw it) - he said it must have been gassed. What does this mean??

I think you may have had a lucky escape!

In the case you refer to no one can say for sure exactly what was going on apart from the seller. But my guess is that there was a significant leak on the refrigerant circuit (therefore not working when enthusiast viewed the car) and this means the aircon would not run. Obviously the seller then had the circuit recharged with refrigerant to impress future prospective purchasers. It is any ones guess how long this recharge would last - a day, a week or even a month but it would have effectively hidden the need for a potentially very expensive and/or time consuming repair.

Be patient my friend you will find a good 'un - and you are becoming more expert with each one you view.

Good luck

NormanB

phew!! I am going to look at another one on saturday - m reg, 130k - any other checklisty type things i should keep an eye out for? They have told me that there is slight bubbling by the rear quarterlight windows (which seems to be quite common) - is this easily fixable? Worth doing? Also - it's supposed to have been serviced every 10,000miles - on the face of it, it sounds like it might be the one for me. Will let you know. In the meantime (just in case) can anyone recommend an indy near kingston (sw london)?

An Indy ?

Whats an indy? I'm from round that way, might be able to help

bod said:
phew!! I am going to look at another one on saturday - m reg, 130k - any other checklisty type things i should keep an eye out for? They have told me that there is slight bubbling by the rear quarterlight windows (which seems to be quite common) - is this easily fixable? Worth doing?
In the meantime (just in case) can anyone recommend an indy near kingston (sw london)?

If you mean paint bubbling on the trim pieces around the rear side windows then they all do it. It's because the paint isn't properly clinging to the aluminium trims. Not an issue.

Isn't the closest Independant George Fraser.

Ah !!! independant !!! sorry for my ignorance

You could try Colin Ferns in Richmond - hes who i use

getting fed up

Ok - I spent the bank holiday weekend driving 200 miles there and 200 miles back to look at a w124 300 diesel in another part of the country. Having had extensive discussions with the garage selling it and on the basis that it had a full service history. I had an AA car data check done on it before I went. Only to find that when I got there, the fsh wasn't. For the last 70,000 miles, the car had had it's oil changed by the owner and had not been serviced anywhere else. Given that I am not a mechanic was I right to be a) a bit miffed, to say the least and b) totally put off the car. It was probably a bargain (if you knew what you were looking at) but not the one for me. Why can't people selling cars just be honest??? Oh - by the way - any way of telling whether mileage is genuine or not (apart from fmbsh) and bills?? Feeling disillusioned, but holding out for the right car...

I know of a 300 Diesel thats had a light frontal incident (parking apparently). I believe its on a 1991, 80k miles green with creme cloth. Prolly a grand or so to sort out the front end. The crash wasnt registered either.

The good bit is that the owner lost her license for 3 years when she crashed the car so basically the car aint going anywhere, nor has it been fixed so now the T&T has expired and she's desperate to shift it.

I think £750 was the price she wanted but that was a few months ago but she never advertised it or anything - Its still there I believe and relatively local to you (Hounslow)

I'll get you the number if you want to take a look at it. You never know, for that kind of money, you have plenty of change to get it sorted properly.

bod said:
Ok - I spent the bank holiday weekend driving 200 miles there and 200 miles back to look at a w124 300 diesel in another part of the country. Having had extensive discussions with the garage selling it and on the basis that it had a full service history. I had an AA car data check done on it before I went. Only to find that when I got there, the fsh wasn't. For the last 70,000 miles, the car had had it's oil changed by the owner and had not been serviced anywhere else. Given that I am not a mechanic was I right to be a) a bit miffed, to say the least and b) totally put off the car. It was probably a bargain (if you knew what you were looking at) but not the one for me. Why can't people selling cars just be honest??? Oh - by the way - any way of telling whether mileage is genuine or not (apart from fmbsh) and bills?? Feeling disillusioned, but holding out for the right car...

1. I trust you got the garage to stump up for the wasted AA check.
2. Verifying mileage is more of an art than a science, a good run of MOT tickets (if it is that old) and Service documents, together with sound alignment of numerals (if it is a mechanical odometer). However Mercs do wear their age well so it is all too easy for the determined to deceive. You need to size up the seller and look at the car in context.
3. It may have been a good car you walked away from and it may have been a bad 'un who can tell. Certainly the seller was careless at the least and deceptive at worst - you would not want to be dealing with people like that AFTER you have parted with the folding stuff!
4. It may be worth your while following up Spike's lead - he knows Mercs and if he reckons it is worth a punt that would be good enough for me!

Good luck and keep searching your car is out there waiting for you!!

NormanB

Sp!ke said:
I know of a 300 Diesel thats had a light frontal incident (parking apparently). I believe its on a 1991, 80k miles green with creme cloth. Prolly a grand or so to sort out the front end. The crash wasnt registered either.

The good bit is that the owner lost her license for 3 years when she crashed the car so basically the car aint going anywhere, nor has it been fixed so now the T&T has expired and she's desperate to shift it.

I think £750 was the price she wanted but that was a few months ago but she never advertised it or anything - Its still there I believe and relatively local to you (Hounslow)

I'll get you the number if you want to take a look at it. You never know, for that kind of money, you have plenty of change to get it sorted properly.

My my - that sounds mighty interesting. What is the T&T?? Any chance of gettting me the details in a private message, spike?? :)

bod said:
My my - that sounds mighty interesting. What is the T&T?? Any chance of gettting me the details in a private message, spike?? :)

Tax and Test - ie Tax expired and no current MOT, the vehicle is OTR (off the road).

This is not a problem of itself and keeps the price down!

Sp!ke - yes please - could be interesting. Could you give me the details in a private message?
Ta

What a shame - never mind, chin up and all that - will keep looking...Thanks all the same. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom