w124 300td belt pulley and injector noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

legrandfromage

Car
300TD
The belt tensioner pulley on my recently purchased 1990 300td is out of alignment with the other pulleys. It sits further back towards the engine than it should, so the belt is off the front edge, and is wearing out the newly fitted belt. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Also, the engine is fairly clattery at low revs. Actually that's an understatement. The noise is bad enough to attract concerned stares from pedestrians. On over-run down a hill, it goes quiet, so I'm presuming it is the injectors that need seeing to? At speed, the engine is surprisingly smooth and quiet - a bit of a revelation for a 21 year old car!

legrandfromage

There is a thick washer behind the belt tensioner, my guess is that someone forgot to fit it when it was last changed.

Thanks for the advice. I hoped it would be something like that, but visually comparing the pulley system with a near identical on on a Ssangyong that I have, I couldn't see anything obvious. If I buy a new pulley, will I get the washer with it?

In the meantime I will have a word with the mechanic who changed the belt - hopefully he hasn't lost the washer!

Cheers

These engines are noisy at start-up and at low revs.
I always use Millers Diesel Ecomax additive.
Several threads on here discuss it at some length.
I have run two E300TDs and used it in both.
It certainly improves noise level and provides a number of advantages in addition.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try some of that additive, and see how it goes for a while before I decide to take the plunge with the injectors.

legrandfromage

These engines are noisy at start-up and at low revs.
I always use Millers Diesel Ecomax additive.
Several threads on here discuss it at some length.
I have run two E300TDs and used it in both.
It certainly improves noise level and provides a number of advantages in addition.
how much for the additive and where can u get from pls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom