W124 300TE 1988 Fog Light Switch Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.porthouse

Car
Mercedes 300TE (W124) 1988
Hi All,

Just found and sorted a problem with my rear fog light that it would be worth documenting:

My rear foglight wouldn't come on. The car has no front fogs. I traced it to the headlight rotary switch (which includes the fog lights switching) on the dash.

Terminal NSE is the feed to the foglights from fuse 4.
N is the feed out of the switch to the front fogs.
NS is the feed out of the switch to the rear foglight.

Whatever I did with the switch position I couldn't get an output to the rear foglight on terminal NS. So I simply switched the wires to the two terminals (N and NS) so that the rear foglight activated by using the switching which was supposed to feed the front foglights.

The owner manual shows two positions on the switch for the fogs: Pulled out a little and pulled out a lot (pulled out in the direction of the rotary switch's axis - away from the dash). My switch and another switch I tested only had one pulled out position.

I would be curious to know if either I've got something wrong about this or if this is a common switch fault.

Cheers,

Mark

The reason why some switches had 2 positions was probably at the start of the rear bright fog lights, I cant remember if they were fitted in the early 90's

Mark
That isn't a common problem but appears to have happened to you.

television
iirc rear fogs were introduced in mid '80s.

Thanks gents.

Cheers,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom