W124 300TE 1992 - New steering box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
If I wanted to purchase the above - which I might - where should I start looking does the Team think?

Asked my friendly Main Dealer and if he could get one the cost would be astronomic, so need another source. :confused:

Cheers
Mike

Why do you think you need a new one? They can be re-built if it's really bad.

I'm now wondering if the rebuild success depends on what is wrong. Leaking? Crack on, new seals and a tidy up will have it good as new

Worn and sloppy, lots of play? I'm not so sure any more. Mine has lasted 20k before seemingly being back to where it was before. Will see if it can be adjusted out but not hopeful.

Stick a used one on £40.

You can adjust the play out of them, but there's always a bit of play in a steering box

IME a lot of the slop that gets blamed on the steering box is usually from a tiny bit of play in each of the eleventy million balljoints in the rest of the steering linkage. Replacing the lot of 'em often makes a pretty BIG difference. There's a nice pictorial guide to rebuilding steering boxes here How to reseal a MB steering gear

£5 - 700 with service exchange looks to be the going rate in Europe but obviously they have the steering wheel on the wrong side for example category_oen

I have asked here and the answer is always the same - there is no rebuild kit to take the play out of these.
You can adjust them in car [or on the bench] but only by so much, [and I'm pretty sure the BPP changes to out of spec when they become too worn]. What to do when you run out of adjustment, buy a brand new one because older ones will be well down the worn out path by now, leaving not a lot of service life left.
So, if it's a keeper get a hold of the Classics Centre, or Olly at PCS and see what a new one works out to be, or take a chance on a second hand one from the breakers....

I had the car looked at by MB Medway just after purchase and one issue identified was the steering box leaking. I have subsequently noticed squeaking "noises" from the front particularly just after starting and here we are.

Appreciate all the comments above but still not sure what the next move should be. Do not want it packing up on me if it is indeed faulty.

How many miles on it Mike...?

Could the squeak be from something else on the belt...

Squeaking could be ball joints rather than the box?

So, if it's a keeper get a hold of the Classics Centre, or Olly at PCS and see what a new one works out to be, or take a chance on a second hand one from the breakers....

New ones are fortunes, worst end you can get them sent away and rebuilt, but a decent used one will solve the problem, they're not hard to get hold of.

IME a lot of the slop that gets blamed on the steering box is usually from a tiny bit of play in each of the eleventy million balljoints in the rest of the steering linkage

Three track rods, six rod ends, one steering idler…

As above, I'd do those before the steering box

The front wishbone bushes have a lot to do with the way the car steers. Cars that tend to plough on in a straight line at low speed with some steering lock on will have worn wishbone bushes. I have found it particularly bad on slippery London roundabouts. The problem is worse on the six-cylinder cars

Nick Froome

But that's the thing Nick, you can't from what I understand. All they do is reseal them, they don't replace the worn bits that make for play, and by adjusting the play out of them you start to change the BPP from what I understand. If you know where to send these to have the screw and balls etc etc replaced let me know please...

Mike's may be just fine after the leaks are sorted, but I'd adjust it in the car first and then measure the Ball Point Position just to be on the safe side. You need a special low value torque measuring tool on the steering wheel to adjust these in car, as there is an interference fit type of situation in the straight ahead position, i.e. no play at all when adjusted correctly. I might add it makes a huge difference just on its own. A properly adjusted steering box with all other components in good nick makes these a real pleasure to dive.

Three track rods, six rod ends, one steering idler…

As above, I'd do those before the steering box

The front wishbone bushes have a lot to do with the way the car steers. Cars that tend to plough on in a straight line at low speed with some steering lock on will have worn wishbone bushes. I have found it particularly bad on slippery London roundabouts. The problem is worse on the six-cylinder cars

Nick Froome

With everything else in perfect condition they can still feel like a rattly old bag of bones. Adjusting the steering box properly makes these a joy to drive - adds to the feeling of solidity and makes them track straighter too... :)

Nobody has mentioned the steering damper. Very easy to replace, and makes a lot of difference to steering feel.

Idler arm bushes are also a good starting point.

Thanks all for the input. Leaks and some squeaking but still not really clear what needs to be done tbh.
Time for another chat with Mike at MB Medway I think.

Old cars- I love 'em!

If the car squeaks when you turn the wheel, then that could be the ball joints, which can fail sending the wheel into the wing.

If it's a squeal, then perhaps it's the belt, struggling with lack of PAS fluid due to your leaky box.

Had a chat with the The Don at the tennis yesterday and have now got an offer of a used box from a MB Club member. May take that,get it refurbished and installed, and go from there.
Car has done 87k miles to date and everything else is pretty good - leather, ac, 7 seats, electric windows, electric sunroof, new drivers side mirror, new grille, new front prop shaft coupling, new washer pipes to rear window and new radio aerial.

Thanks again for all the input.

If yours only has 87 on it don't throw it away.

The car or the steering box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom