W124 300TE-24 stalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueQuinn

Car
Mercedes-Benz 300TE-24
And so my engine woes continue. Having had a good few weeks of a perfectly functioning car it's decided to break again.

This time it's stalling. Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It runs perfectly smoothly but at parking speeds, or when stopped at a junction (!) the engine just dies. It's basically unusable in traffic at the moment.

It's a 4 speed auto, 24v M104 3 litre with no cat. proper dizzy and HT leads
It's just had a new Bosch dizzy cap and rotor, as well as a B service.

Do these symptoms shout anything really obvious to anyone? I can't afford to pay for a mechanic to diagnose it.

And so my engine woes continue. Having had a good few weeks of a perfectly functioning car it's decided to break again.

This time it's stalling. Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It runs perfectly smoothly but at parking speeds, or when stopped at a junction (!) the engine just dies. It's basically unusable in traffic at the moment.

It's a 4 speed auto, 24v M104 3 litre with no cat. proper dizzy and HT leads
It's just had a new Bosch dizzy cap and rotor, as well as a B service.

Do these symptoms shout anything really obvious to anyone? I can't afford to pay for a mechanic to diagnose it.

OVP relay?

RayH

I had similar problems with my car, a 96 E280. Unstable in traffic, cutting out at junctions and surging tick over. It was cured by a new air mass sensor and regeneration valve.

Hope this helps.

OVP... faulty one causes idle to go so low it stalls, quite often accompanied with ABS light?

I haven't noticed the ABS light go on, just when it stalls, all the lights come on, just like when you first turn the key

Get it checked out properly.
It could be ovp relay but usually this would cause other noticeable issues as well
It could be the fuel pump relay ( built into the mas controller)
It could be other things
Don't throw money at it fella

I'm afraid you do probably need a professional diagnosis. My identical car just had the ignition module replaced after the engine cut out twice whilst driving. The second time left me stranded. When you car fails the first basic tests would be to establish if you have fuel and a spark....

Also check your fuel/air mix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom