w124 300TE 4Matic front springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

londo

Car
MB 300TE 4Matic
Hi,

would someone know where to get new ones or even proper used?

So far tried germany and finland all locations + ebay and google. One rather bad was in Finland one scrapyard.

The front springs on a 4matic are the strangest springs I have ever seen.

I'm pretty sure you can still get them from mercedes at a reasonable price. EDIT SWat has linked to the correct part above.

Last edited:
stwat, thanks for the link...Just need to confirm it is for the 300te...there is 3 of those springs for different engines.

We tried to get that from one authorized dealer in Finland and price was 240€ until they said it can't be delivered...From the factory!!!

Need to once check the importer if they have it. For 80£ that spring would be practically free ;)

He says £74.52 before discount please.

At that price anyone with a 4-Matic would be bloody silly not to buy a pair. They'll never be that cheap again

Nick Froome

stwat, thanks for the link...Just need to confirm it is for the 300te...there is 3 of those springs for different engines.

We tried to get that from one authorized dealer in Finland and price was 240€ until they said it can't be delivered...From the factory!!!

Need to once check the importer if they have it. For 80£ that spring would be practically free ;)

I chose the 300TE 4matic from the list of W124's on the parts site and that is the part number that came up for the front springs. And that was the price that came up on the merc parts site using the part number.

Currently there are 2 springs listed in the UK EPC for all engine types.even the diesel !

A1243212504 for loading points 36- 48

A1243212404 for loading points 49-62

the greatest influence on these points totals are automatic gearbox 5 diesel/4 petrol and air conditioning 7 even the steel undershield only rates a 1 !
so unless you have both auto and A/C you're very unlikely to reach the 49-62 pointsmark so the '504 spring would be fine. Otherwise '404 would be better.
To be honest either would do- given the type of demands on the spring--- if in doubt go for STWAT's higher rated 404 spring- but this is possibly a beggars can't be choosers situation anyway ??

Last edited:
Yes the 504 came up with no results, only the 404 came up as available so are most likely the only ones they now sell.

We have actually two of those 300TE 4matic wagons here in finland :) Automatic + aircondition of course.

Father-in-law is mb enthusiastic with several MB's from 73 to 95 mostly (SL,G,w126,w124,w115,w201,w202,w140). 42 cars fit to garage + 12 left outside :D In this fall "cleaning"...12 went to pile :(

Have to tell that we have one BMW convertible as well. :ban:

:D

I have a 300te 4Matic sat in my garage. Just awaiting funds for a gearbox re-furb. The car was restored in my ownership and is gorgeous to drive. Front springs look like a pigs ****. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Called to Finland MB importer Veho...

Spring had some code C101: DO NOT DELIVER ANYMORE...FACTORY :(

I sent now query to stwat's link...the UK Merc. Fingers crossed :)

I sent now query to stwat's link...the UK Merc. Fingers crossed :)

That link is to MB Inchcape - genuine parts so the best place. The problem is they will not ship out of UK (certainly not to France) so you might need to get someone in the UK to buy them and ship them on to you in Finland.

Good luck.

RayH

Called now to MB part UK. They can't get that part either. So is this 1992 MB the first ones (relatively new) where I can't get all parts. I consider spring as wearing part and it does not function without it so that should be available by the factory.

Well might need to pile this...I have this car in mint condition and it is only 7 years to calssic car state in Finland. Probably not worth to wait then if there is no parts available. This car used to cost 340 000 FIM in 1992 (in todays money over 100 000€). So my "luxury" vehicle has no use shortly :(

Well...got pair of used, but would like to get new one's. One spring manufacturer said that the spring is so weird that they wont do it.

Here's a piccy for those who might be wondering what this is about
dscn55115mni.jpg

images

and here is how Mercedes did it with the later W210 model which had the advantage of a concentric strut and spring unlike the earlier W124 So replacing 4matic shocks and springs in front.. - Mercedes-Benz Forum
attachment.php

Last edited:
Interesting... wonder if the W210 hardware could somehow work on a W124.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom