W124 300TE fast/high idle issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Scho

Car
300TE (W124)
I have a 1990 W124 300TE which has developed an idle speed issue over the last few days. When I start it from cold it idles at around 1500rpm instead of the usual 800-900rpm. I put this down to the weather going colder and it having to use choke but even once the engine is warm, it still idles at 1500 if I put it into neutral.

This morning I was stuck in traffic and could tell it wasn't right by the fact it was moving away quicker as I released the brakes and sure enough, I knocked it into neutral a couple of times and it would rise right up to 1500rpm. Them, I decided to turn it off and start it up again. Straight away it idled perfectly at 800-900rpm as usual.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Same thing happened this morning - stuck in the same traffic, and if I put it into neutral it would rise up to 1500rpm. Switched off and restarted and it idled normally at 800rpm.

The idle valve sticks on this engine. However first thing is to check if your OVP relay has ever been changed.
These cause issues like this and are pretty much a consumable to replace every few years.

Over Voltage Protection Relay... About £50 from the dealer.

Thank you for your help guys.

Can the idle valve be cleaned out with carb cleaner or similar?

Also, where are the idle valve and OVP relay please?

I think it can. But dont use screwdriver as u can damahe the iner coat. Just spray on and dru with a paper or towel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom