W124 320ce what could be wrong ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAZ-500SL

Car
500sl
Hello, right need a little help, I got this w124 320ce, which has a issue the previous owner tells me he serviced the car, and put fresh oil, in to it,
The radiator hose was leaking slightly but was ok, but on one occasion it did over heat and he put the fan to hot and drove home, but then it was ok until he took it on to the motor way doing 70mph, the car lost all it's oil ( can see all the oil spluttered underneath the car) and was then recovered home, he then put more fresh oil in to it and started it up, to see where it was leaking from , the car has no visible oil leaks but the water is now bubbling and it's got creamy /milky, could anyone tell me what this could be and why did it lose it's oil and where from as there no signs on leakage but the oil has come out to be spluttered all underneath of the car, all help appreciated in advance

The head gasket has blown and the head has most probably warped.

This happened to me on a Ford some years ago. I had just done an oil change with a genuine OE filter and took the car on a long motorway run. After about 100 miles the oil light came on. I stopped, checked the oil and found nothing on the dipstick. I filled it up and after another 100 miles had the same again. The underside of the car was plastered in fresh oil.
A check eventually revealed a faulty filter which was letting go when oil was being pumped through at high speed but was not leaking at idle. Thankfully there was no engine damage.

That sounds like the head gasket has blown, and warped the cylinder head with it.

Thanks for all the help guys, so that explains the oil leak from warped head, so why is it that the new oil that has been put in hasn't leaked or would this only happen when the car be at high speed like when it was at 70 and dropped all the oil, would the steel seal gasket product help or would it be to far gone ?

Thanks for all the help guys, so that explains the oil leak from warped head, so why is it that the new oil that has been put in hasn't leaked or would this only happen when the car be at high speed like when it was at 70 and dropped all the oil, would the steel seal gasket product help or would it be to far gone ?

Steel seal wont help with this I afraid, your looking at a headgasket change and skimming or replacing the head.

Just another thought. I had similar with our 280 in that it lost oil like crazy when being worked hard. No creamy water though and the head gasket had been done beofre this happened. It was leaking from either the seal under the oil filter housing ( or through the housing itself) Very hard to locate but the oil was coming down the back of the engine and spraying everywhere. Agreed its more likely to be head gasket but just another cause to bear in mind.

The previous owner was an ejjit

Bad CHG, as stated. The head may or not be warped. The oil leak is not caused by the head being warped - it's caused by the head gasket ageing

It's a fairly long job to replace a CHG on one of these - there are 24 valves, for one thing

Nick Froome

water

When the head gasket goes water enters the bore and also the sump .And then the pressure will build up , then your engine will have more liquid than it should , ie water and oil , so then it will blow out any place it can. Looking like a lot of work sorry to say.

Is there anyone that will be the right guy to put a head gasket in, I'm in the South east, I will have a look at the oil housing aswell about the oil leak, the problem is all the mechanics that I been to seem to not want to do a big job, no offence to the mechanic but isn't ment to be there job to fix cars not turn customers away, I understand time = money , but it's not like I'm going to want it done for free , any recommended mechanics is appreciated, I don't mind travelling a bit if they are some good recommendations thanks again

Talk to PCS in Horndean.(forum sponsors). They did our 280 for a very reasonable sum. cant remember exactly how much because it was in amongst lots of other jobs! Highly recommended and well worth the trip.

Thanks guys will give them a shout and I will get a pressure test done hope for the best lol that's all I can say cheers again all

Olly is a decent chap, knows his stuff, has never ripped me off, run with his suggestions is all I can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom