w124 320te tapping noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kbekl

Car
1990 230te
right when you first start the car it has a tapping noise i think is the tappets

it does go away when driving

it has started to remain tapping for a bit longer but when run for a little bit it will go and wont tap unless stood for a while

is this somthing to be weary of (my old bmw used to tap all the time but it wasnt detrimental)

the car has covered 2060000 mile with mbfsh and has just done 700 mile round trip to manchester with out fault

Sounds familiar and not something of which to be very fearful or wary. I say this on the basis of my mechanic's opinion, not on my own puny technical knowledge. I think he referred to oil being slow to get to the valve lifters. What oil are you using?

206k? Just getting run in.

the car has covered 2060000 mile with mbfsh and has just done 700 mile round trip to manchester with out fault

That's a hell of a mileage :bannana::bannana:

Sorry. Had to get that one in.

both of our W124s had intermittent tappet noise - one had done 230k, one had done 190k and we never worried about it.

Personally I wouldn't panic but if things got any louder or persistant then I'd investigate further

yes supposed to be 206000 miles

i use 2 different types of oil depending what the garage has got, castrol 10w 40 some times gtx for higher mileage engines or magnatec but both 10w 40 (i currently have both types at the mo gtx in the car and mag is unopened)

just tought i best ask just incase

it is normally quiet when run

their is also a weird vibration when going straight and left but to the right is perfectly smooth (a search tells me its a mount or similar but will get it looked at)

At that mileage the engine mounts and possibly the gearbox mount will be shot. The front prop doughnut may be breaking up as well. Finally, and more critically, the balljoints will be well past their best

Time to get it on a ramp for a look-see, I'd think

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

it just had the mot done last month failed on one front tyer a bulb

advisories were weep from rear dif and front tyre near limit

had a full service in december

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom